Eva Solo Tips

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Eva Solo Tips

Postby stanleyk » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:52 am

Hi all,

Recently picked up cafe solo half price from JL, bargain. I tend to drink espresso and think I have that nailed in terms of grind and amount of beans etc. However I do struggle with my solo, often miss the key flavours that are being promoted by the roaster. Any tips on what grind, ratio bean to water etc would be much appreciated. I don't have scales at moment so it may be that the guessing I am doing is not really benefitting me on the final cup.

Thanks in advance
stanleyk

RE: Eva Solo Tips

Postby kingseven » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:21 pm

I tend to use between 60g-70g per litre. I grind fairly coarse and as pour the water in give it a little swirl to make sure everything is saturated. (I lost the little stirrer).
5 minutes later another quick swirl then pop the filter on, give it 20 seconds for some fines to settle, then pour. I really like my cafe solo, use it every day.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Re: RE: Eva Solo Tips

Postby Viernes » Mon May 10, 2010 1:18 pm

kingseven wrote:I tend to use between 60g-70g per litre. I grind fairly coarse and as pour the water in give it a little swirl to make sure everything is saturated. (I lost the little stirrer).
5 minutes later another quick swirl then pop the filter on, give it 20 seconds for some fines to settle, then pour. I really like my cafe solo, use it every day.

mmm.. are you doing the extraction without the lid or only without the filter? Why?

The last quick swirl, what's for?

Thanks.

PS: Could anyone tell what should I expect from other methods (french press, Syphon) compared to Eva?
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

RE: Re: RE: Eva Solo Tips

Postby al_bongo » Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 am

French press, I would say is similar to the Cafe Solo.

Syphon, at least the Harios with the cloth filter is a much cleaner brew with almost no fines due to the filtration method. It's not as full bodied as French press and takes a bit of practice to get right, but when you do it's very repeatable. Flavour wise I'd say it gives you more of the subtle flavours of the coffee (high notes?) which when I do French press I lose.

Syphon would be top of my list though. Both syphon and French press are full immersion methods. The temp stability of the syphon is great, no fall off in temp as you get with French press and the cloth filtration with the syphon is also preferable to my palette. Maybe lacks a bit of oomph compared to French press, but then no sludge either.
al_bongo

RE: Re: RE: Eva Solo Tips

Postby Tinseljim » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 pm

I just tried out Steve's new method:
http://www.hasblog.co.uk/brewing-guide- ... r-eva-solo

And it worked! I finally got a cup that I liked from the Eva. I followed it pretty much to the letter using some Kenya Ndimaini and was really impressed - nice clean acidity and hints of black currants. No gritty or muddy taste that I used to get. So thanks for that...

anyone else tried yet?
Tinseljim

Return to Other Brewing Methods