Easy one-mug filter brewing

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Easy one-mug filter brewing

Postby jon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm

I'd like an easy way to brew filter-type coffee right into a single mug. I don't like using filter paper, so would one of the Swiss Gold filters be a good bet? If so, which one? If I should try something else, what would be the best best?

Thanks.
jon

RE: Easy one-mug filter brewing

Postby bruceb » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:01 pm

It's good to be aware that any metal filter lets through the fines that paper hold back, ie. there will be a bit of mud in the bottom of the cup. I use a gold filter in the AeroPress and like the results very much.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby darrensandford » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:19 am

I use a filter holder and swiss gold filter both from Hasbean. Seems to work well enough for me, but bear in mind that you do get a muddy bottom from what the swiss gold lets through, and I find I have to be very careful with adding the water, as the swiss gold filter seems to let water through much faster than a paper filter cone. Take time, dribble slowly and evenly, enjoy! (but don't drink all the way to the bottom :) ).
darrensandford

Postby darrensandford » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:20 am

darrensandford

Postby jon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:31 am

Ah, thanks for the replies. Hm - if I'm going to need to get a cone and filter anyway, and it's still a bit of a fiddle, it's tempting to just go for a french press instead...
jon

Postby bruceb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Why not an AeroPress? The paper filters are tiny or you can put a gold filter in and just leave it there. It's about the easiest way to make a cup, the smallest to transport and the coffee is excellent (imo).
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby jon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Good suggestion - but tbh I've always preferred FP to Aeropress. Also, Aeropress seems quite unforgiving in terms of what you put in - and this would be getting ground in a blade grinder, at best, or just preground.
jon

Postby AlexV » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Whittards have these, I noticed the other day -

http://www.swissgold.com/e/c_produkt06.php
Cimbali Junior 21, Macap MXT900, Mazzer Kony GOD, Vacuum Coffee Saver
AlexV

Postby jon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:20 pm

That could be just the thing - thanks :D
jon

Postby jon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Got the cup-top Swiss Gold suggested - very easy to use, and brews a nice big mug. First couple of cups have been decent enough - will have more of a play and see if I can improve things further.
jon

Postby Skippy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:10 pm

I hated my swiss gold, way too muddy. I suppose my grinder is probably partly to blame though.

If I wanted to brew right into the cup I use a filter cone and paper filters
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby jon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:48 pm

Maybe depends what you're used to? The Swiss Gold leaves me with way less grit in the cup than French Press, but more than a paper filter.
jon

Postby bruceb » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 pm

I believe Skippy was right on when he mentioned his grinder. A grinder that generates a lot of fines is not really ideal for a gold metal filter or for a French press. Some grinders (e.g. inexpensive electric burr grinders and most hand grinders) create lots of fines regardless of how coarse their adjustment is set to. A whirly blade grinder is actually more suitable.
bruceb

Postby jon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks - I do use a pretty cheap (bodum) burr grinder, but maybe that was geared towards FP anyway, given the manufacturer.

Any idea how long I should aim for in terms of drip brew times? Unless I grind very coarse, I'm getting over 5 min brew time (for 1 mug, 17g beans). Taste-wise, results have been pretty good though - just that long a brew somehow seems wrong, and irritating to have to wait so long for a cup :)
jon

Return to Other Brewing Methods