Total vac pot failure, what's the reason?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Total vac pot failure, what's the reason?

Postby Terje » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:22 pm

It's a Bodum, I used it for the full 8 cups it can make, poured quite a lot of grounds in becuase I didn't want to make weak coffee, since I had guests. To put it simply the coffee didn't come down to the lower bowl. I think I may have put way too much coffee grounds in there.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

RE: Total vac pot failure, what

Postby syscrusher » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Filter clogged I would say. I have a Bodum Santos, don't really ever use it anymore for that very reason - very prone to stalling.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby Terje » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:49 pm

But... how does the filter get clogged? I mean, you take it out and rinse it everytime, right? Did I grind the coffee too finely?
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby syscrusher » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 pm

All coffee grinders produce a range of grinds.

To a greater or lesser extent there will always be fines.

The design of the plastic filter on the Santos seems especially prone to stalling, though I've had similar experiences with some glass rod filters.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby kingseven » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Too much resistance from the coffee, or the lower chamber got too hot and didn't create a strong enough vacuum for the draw down.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby triptogenetica » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:38 am

I've had similar experiences with some glass rod filters.

+1 for that - I've found I need a coarser grind if i use my glass rod, than if I'm using the cloth filter that came with the vac-pot. Both seem to work, however - the vac-pot was a great find :)

(Must just add it to my sig...)
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby Terje » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:50 am

I have this small vac pot that I bought in Azores, so it's Portuguese I guess, and it's heated by a flame from a lamp. The filters are made of cloth. It has never failed me and I've used a pretty fine grind and quite a lot of coffee in it too.
Terje

Postby Bombcup » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Aggitation can be an issue I find. Get good rapid draw down and neat looking dome of grounds if stirred with any degree of finesse, slow or stalling if I'm clumsy.
Bombcup

Postby zix » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:52 pm

My parents have an old "don Pedro", looks and works just like the Bodums - I use coarsely ground coffee with that one and it usually works fine. But with finer grind you may need to stir around with something (a caffe latte spoon works well).
The Cona "C" I have at home definitely wants the coffee to be stirred. Otherwise it won't mix with the hot water.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Return to Other Brewing Methods