Changing grinder setting.

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Changing grinder setting.

Postby leecb » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:13 pm

So I have bought a Chemex, but now I have a problem. I can't remember ever changing my grinder (Mini E) by the amount required for filter and I have a vague memory that I need to change it whilst it is running?
Also I assume that I need to do the same when changing back.
Do I do it with the grinder empty?
Does anyone have a ballpark number to start at for filter? (I guess around 6?)
Was excited, now I'm worried :roll: but still excited! :lol:
Yours in anticipation :D
PS I've got some Brazil Maria Serra Do Rola Moca-Lucia Junqueria Pereira waiting to try in it and I'm getting desperate! :D
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

RE: Changing grinder setting.

Postby bruceb » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:13 pm

DON'T PANIC! When adjusting the grinder just remember that it is better and easier to adjust FINER with the grinder running, assuming that there are beans down between the burrs. When adjusting coarser the grinder does not need to be running. If you think about this it is relatively evident. If there are beans between the burrs and they are not turning you will have to crush the beans when you adjust finer. When you adjust coarser you are just pulling the burrs further apart so there is no problem. Of course, if the machine is clean, i.e. no beans in and around the burrs, then it makes no difference at all and you can adjust either way with the machine not running.

Just chose a coarser setting, grind a bit and rub the grounds between your fingers. I guess for the Chemex you will want something like fine sawdust.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Changing grinder setting.

Postby leecb » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 am

Cool.
Just made my first Chemex and if i do say so myself it wasn't half bad! :D
I think that the coffee was a little coarse, put the grinder to 6, but will try 5 next time.
The pour took about 3 minutes or so. The coffee was really delicious, naturally sweet and very clean tasting.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Return to Other Brewing Methods