dust, mud call it whatever you want - grinder issues

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: re

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 am

This is hugely interesting stuff, but my poor addled mind is not following somehow. Any chance of some photos please dsc ( if for no other reason than you take great photos) :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi Cakes:)

no worries, here's a photo showing the size of normal PF grinds (on the right) and dust removed from the ground coffee using an ordinary mug tea strainer (on the left):

I did some quick checks today after sifting coffee and it turned out that in a typical 16g dose I had 14.1g of normal grinds and 1.9g of dust which is roughly 15%. Quite a lot if you ask me and it makes a huge difference in taste.

For all of those that want to experiment just grab a tea strainer or you can go all fancy and buy this:

http://www.avenue18.ca/Accessories/Syph ... MPS_50.htm

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:30 am

Thanks :) We'll have a go at this. Dusty residue has always been The thing I most dislike in any form of coffee. That is indeed quite a ratio of dust.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:15 am

I agree wholeheartedly! Many years ago :oops: I did a bunch of experiments, separating the grind on shaken analytical screens, looking at the particles in the light and scanning electron microscope and trying to figure out what made the best grind for espresso. It seems every grinder makes a "bell-shaped curve" of particle size distribution and for espresso the best grind seems to have a wide range of particle sizes (but no boulders). I never thought to dispose the fines because I was only interested in espresso and they don't usually get through the basket. I just tried an AeroPress cup with the fines sifted out and it was very clean and tasted excellent (Ethiopian "wild-grown" Kaffa Forest roasted just to second crack). The problem with the fines is not only that one has mud in the bottom of the cup, the whole cup tastes a bit muddy with them in there.

Thanks for this stimulating discussion, Tom. :D
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 am

Yes well said Bruce, that is exactly how it appears and tastes. This is such a simple solution to a real flavour and mouthfeel killer. Indeed excellent Tom :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I'm still shocked how big the difference in taste is :O thanks guys for trying, it's definitely an eyes opener in my opinion. Also kudos goes to David Welsh, who started a discussion about fines over here:

http://theotherblackstuff.ie/placesandf ... e-grinder/

and some more talk from HB:

http://www.home-barista.com/tips/grind- ... 12861.html

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods