Strange Moka Pot thingy

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Strange Moka Pot thingy

Postby charmon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm

So, I've already showed this to syscrusher and he was eh, amused. Its obviously some sort of evolved Moka Pot but I'm not sure what to do with it. It doesnt look like it would go on the stove and the spring mounted inside has completely thrown me along with the screw-top valves underneath. Anyone ever used one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/dknu5y
charmon

RE: Strange Moka Pot thingy

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Strange looking alright! It must be a prototype as CMA normally doesn't make machines with its own name, but rather builds machines for other companies, plus its own daughter companies Wega and Astoria. Send CMA Spa a couple of pictures and ask them what it is. I'd really be interested to learn more about it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby charmon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Might just do that, although I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else made it and CMA just slapped a badge on it
charmon

Postby zix » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 pm

I am not sure you would need to heat the water in it, unless there are heaters inside the cylinder with the logo on it. It does look a bit suspicious with those cut-throughs on that same cylinder, what's that for? Otherwise, if you simply put hot water inside the bottom part (where you yourself suggests there should be water), and somehow press the top down (or pull the bottom up), oughtn't that water pillar be pushed up through the coffee filter and pressed through the thin tubes out and down into the coffee cups? It looks like that is just what the screw on top is designed to do - to keep a high pressure and force the water up through the puck.
Looks like really good build quality.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby zix » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:56 pm

And if you don't want it, send it to me, I'll take good care of it... :wink:
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby charmon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Hmm...well, screwing the top screw doesnt really apply any pressure.It just seems to hold it in place on the frame. I've also just discovered two little bits that look made-for-purpose. I think I need to put a video up to explain.
charmon

Postby Beanie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:22 pm

yay videos! :lol: :roll: Some of us a simple... and simple to please :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby zix » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:27 pm

screwing the top screw doesnt really apply any pressure

Nähä...
How about what's behind those V-shaped cut-throughs then?
zix

Return to Other Brewing Methods