Stovetop Method

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Stovetop Method

Postby kingseven » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:10 pm

I hope no one minds if I keep posting these little videos here, as hopefully they are of interest:

Stovetop/Moka Pot Method

This isn't a method to try and make espresso with one, instead to get as good a tasting cup of coffee as I could. The resulting cup is pretty strong, but balanced and clean.

I also wanted to tackle a brewing method I'd previously really disliked, and try to find a way to get good results.

Comments welcome!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

RE: Stovetop Method

Postby darrensandford » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Awesome - I pulled my moka pot out a couple of weeks ago, but I did use cold water and didn't stop it as it spluttered. The coffee did taste burnt, but I could see the potential was there, although I didn't persevere. I'll have another go!
darrensandford

RE: Stovetop Method

Postby SlowRain » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:27 pm

I always enjoy your videocasts for the quality of both the imagery and the information. They are very engaging.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby Jules » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Great video. I've been looking around for instructions since I ordered my first moka pot.

Any day now.. :D
Jules

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:35 pm

Having used these pots for over forty years, the only points I'd make would be, that I lightly press the coffee grounds in the container with the back of the scoop, and that I tend to use a grind just a bit coarser than espresso grind. Again, I think it worth mentioning that the lower the heat source the better. A good illustration though.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby technojock » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Good video. I received a moka pot at Christmas (looks just like yours) and I've been looking forward to getting to grips with it. I recall reading here that keeping the heat low was a good idea, and stopping when it spluttered - but I haven't used it enough to establish a reference point for comparing tastes. I'll try your method tomorrow evening, I'll be putting some of HB's Guatemala Finca El Platanillo Maragogype through it. Should be fun.
: Heatgun / Dualit / French Press / Aeropress :
technojock

Postby Aadje » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:44 pm

As allways a great vid James, will try!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Odello » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Jim, it is interesting to see people outside Italy talking about the moka pot. In any case we do not use any hot water usually, we start from cold. This it the Italian tradition.
* Freelance journalist for Coffee Taster (IIAC's newsletter), Mixer, L'Assaggio
Odello

Return to Other Brewing Methods