Budget non-espresso grinder

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Budget non-espresso grinder

Postby darrensandford » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 pm

My wife has a friend who's other half is starting to get into coffee. He really needs a grinder, but it has to be cheap as money is tight.

He is going to be drinking press-pot coffee.

I am completely stumped!

Any ideas as to a cheap coffee grinder that won't be doing espresso?

Thanks!
darrensandford

RE: Budget non-espresso grinder

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:07 pm

Darren,
Before people start making suggestions, what's your definition of cheap? Does it have to be new? Does it have to be electric (ie how many people would it be grinding for at a time)?
With any luck one of the members may have an old grinder they could part with for not much money. In any case, good luck with the search. Oh and tell your wife's friend's other half to join up :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:25 pm

Ohhh ohhh, chomping at the bit .............
..... no, can't hold it any longer ....for a strictly non-espresso ever grinder, the Dualit/Solis 166/Starbuck's is hard to beat. It's £60 but can be bought for £48 with discounts from the Starbucks at a retail outlet village not a million miles from you, or perhaps shipped to you if you that helps. BUT first though, good questions from the Domster that need to be considered :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby shuurajou » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:50 am

The kitchenaid grinder is quite good for non-espresso. Perhaps too pricey though.
shuurajou

Postby HughF » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Ditto for CakeBoy on recommending the Dualit/Solis 166/Starbucks grinder - I used one for a year or two for non-espresso use and bought my parents one 4 years ago which is still doing a good job. It's small, neat and very clean in use - better doserless grinders (MC2/Rocky) make a lot more mess.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby darrensandford » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Superb!

I really don't know how much use it's going to get! I think that they are both gadget-lovers, so something that plugs in and goes "Whrrrrrrrr" will go down well!

I will tell them about the Dualit/Solis 166/Starbucks grinder - that sounds about the right sort of money. I imagine anything around the £50 mark sounds reasonable. I want to avoid the "WHat? How much? Just for coffee?" I have got in the past :oops:
darrensandford

Re: RE: Budget non-espresso grinder

Postby voice_of_reason » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:11 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Ohhh ohhh, chomping at the bit .............
..... no, can't hold it any longer ....for a strictly non-espresso ever grinder, the Dualit/Solis 166/Starbuck's is hard to beat. It's £60 but can be bought for £48 with discounts from the Starbucks at a retail outlet village not a million miles from you, or perhaps shipped to you if you that helps. BUT first though, good questions from the Domster that need to be considered :P

With the VAT reduction, the current price for the Starbucks/Solis grinder from that retail outlet village is £41. They had to order mine in for me, but it only took a few days.
voice_of_reason

Postby JulieJayne » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:17 pm

voice_of_reason wrote:With the VAT reduction, the current price for the Starbucks/Solis grinder from that retail outlet village is £41. They had to order mine in for me, but it only took a few days.

I don't suppose that they have an internet shop do they. With the current exchange rate, even adding postage to Europe £41 would be cheaper than the €99 they cost over here.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby voice_of_reason » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:45 am

JulieJayne wrote:I don't suppose that they have an internet shop do they. With the current exchange rate, even adding postage to Europe £41 would be cheaper than the €99 they cost over here.

I don't think so - not that I could find anyway. I don't think Starbucks in the UK sell any of their stuff online.
voice_of_reason

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17 pm

JulieJayne wrote:
voice_of_reason wrote:With the VAT reduction, the current price for the Starbucks/Solis grinder from that retail outlet village is £41. They had to order mine in for me, but it only took a few days.

I don't suppose that they have an internet shop do they. With the current exchange rate, even adding postage to Europe £41 would be cheaper than the €99 they cost over here.

Julie, Amazon.de sells the Solis 960.77 for €67,96. Delivery overnight.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Other Brewing Methods