manual grinder for french press - what to get

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: It ain

Postby SlowRain » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks, triptogenetica, for the comments and the link. I'm seriously considering one of these. They're actually pretty cheap here.

syscrusher wrote:The only negative point would be that the drawer is somewhat awkward to get the coffee out of (I like to just tip it out - but there's no spout or aperture so it requires a little dexterity)...

Here's a video that, as coincidence would have it, I watched just today. Put aside the way the shot was done as even the guy doing it admitted it wasn't a very good demo. Just look at how he gets the coffee into the basket. Brilliant.

Also, Orphan Espresso has these that look interesting. I'm curious about them but, as many of you know my espressoless situation, I haven't bought one.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Re: RE: Re: RE: It ain

Postby syscrusher » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:08 pm

SlowRain wrote:Here's a video that, as coincidence would have it, I watched just today. Put aside the way the shot was done as even the guy doing it admitted it wasn't a very good demo. Just look at how he gets the coffee into the basket. Brilliant.

Also, Orphan Espresso has these that look interesting. I'm curious about them but, as many of you know my espressoless situation, I haven't bought one.

You know I saw that video ages ago, but completely forgot about it. Thanks! Will keep mess down, although getting it into a filter cone I imagine is a lot easier than a portafilter (especially a teeny weeny lever basket).

Cheers.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: It ain

Postby triptogenetica » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I was surprised by the Hario burrs too - they don't look at all sharp - but they're ceramic, not metal, and they seem to do an excellent job for the aeropress...
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby jon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Been using the La Cafetiere a lot more lately - MC2 went down in a load of sparks...

Works well for French Press. There are a few larger pieces in the grind, as with the Hario - don't seem to do anything nasty to the cup, but get stuck in the FP filter, which makes it annoying to clean :( If there's a solution to this kind of issue, I'd be interested... Oh, other minor annoyance - sometimes some bits of chaff or similar come out the top when grinding...
jon

Postby bruceb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:15 pm

I had a Hario for a short while, but gave it away because I didn't think it ground anywhere near as fine or evenly as the Zassenhaus grinders. On the Zass I just dump the drawer onto a thin sheet of plastic, roll it and dump it into the Aeropress or portafilter. The plastic (nylon or teflon?) is stiff enough that it remains flat until I roll it, then returns to its flat shape again. I think it was originally for use as a cutting surface in the kitchen.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby SlowRain » Fri May 01, 2009 5:42 am

Has anyone heard of or used the Kyocera ceramic hand mill? There's a discussion about it on coffeesnobs.com.au. It seems to be one step up from the Hario Skerton as it supposedly solves the loose-burr problem at coarser grinds.

I've done a few Internet searches (product number: CM-45CF). It seems to be selling for about 2,600JPY in Japan, which seems reasonable. It's selling for more than that here in Taiwan, as well as the US and Australia.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby shm » Sat May 30, 2009 7:50 pm

SlowRain, I've had my Kyocera hand mill for only a few days and have been using it for french press coffee. It is very easy to break down and clean and it does produce a bit of fines when course grinding but not as much as my Mazzer does when grinding for french press. (I've been drinking french press for around 2 weeks since I gave up on the Gaggia).

I plan on also testing it on the new ECM when it arrives this week, I'll let you know what espresso is like.

The grinds are a bit static-y as the whole of the body is plastic with only the handle and spindle and spring being metal but it really only means the chaff sticks to the underside of the burr and stays out of the ground coffee until you've emptied it, then you can blow it off into the sink or whatever and a few taps gets the grinds out of the body once you've done.

They are $75 plus delivery from Orphan Espresso and as far as I'm aware (according to Kyocera in Europe) they are only available in Japan and not anywhere else so I can only assume O E are importing them to the states themselves or bought a few as stock if they or friends went to Japan.

You also asked in your PM where I got mine from, mine was a gift from a Japanese acquaintance ;)
stuff
shm

Postby SlowRain » Sun May 31, 2009 12:03 am

Thank you very much. The folks on coffeesnobs.com.au have been going nuts over this grinder for the last couple of weeks, but no one there has yet talked about it for French press.

I've been trying to find a vendor in Japan who will ship overseas, but most of them only ship domestically. As I've said above, it's reasonably priced in Japan, but overpriced in the US and Australia.

I look forward to hearing about it with the ECM.
SlowRain

Postby PhilT » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:19 am

Hi shm. This is a long shot - do you happen to know a place in Tokyo that sells the Kyocera hand grinder (e.g. a department store). I have a friend there.

Phil
La Spaziale S1 Mini, Mazzer Mini E, Aeropress, Kyocera hand grinder
PhilT

Postby SlowRain » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:17 pm

I know your question was directed at shm and regarding a bricks-and-mortar store, but this is the cheapest I've found online:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/northernblue/82559.html (unfortunately, this company won't ship overseas)

Yours is a good question, and I'd be very interested to know if they can be had cheaper from a department store.
SlowRain

Postby shm » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:54 am

i'm really sorry but i have no idea about tokyo department stores.
stuff
shm

Postby PhilT » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Interested in all of this to get a little hand grinder for french press on holiday.

shm, slowrain: Thanks for your suggestions. My pal in Tokyo is going to see if he can find it locally.

Re. new Zassenhaus, has anyone had a good experience with the current models? Accounts seem mixed to say the least. As far as I can tell, it's still the original company manufacturing in Germany. I've read some good accounts of the Lima, which would pack into the holiday luggage well...

Anyone had experience with Peugeot grinders?

List here, seemingly available in the UK:
http://www.auravita.com/supplier_level4 ... tBrand=All

Phil
Last edited by PhilT on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilT

Postby SlowRain » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Please keep me posted.
SlowRain

Postby shm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 pm

I tried the Kyocera tonight for a decaf for my son. It was the first time using it for espresso. So I tightened the burrs then backed off one click and ground a double shot. As I put it in the basket I suddenly thought it might choke the ECM but the shot was one of the better ones of the past few days. Not outstanding but very, very good.

I'll do some comparison shots with the Mazzer tomorrow using some Cafe Harlequin blend that's been in the freezer since the beginning of May.
stuff
shm

Postby PhilT » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:13 pm

My kind friend in Tokyo ordered the Kyocera from the yahoo shopping link above, and shipped it to me as a gift. Slightly flabbergasted when it arrived this morning as I'd only asked him to check if they were available...

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow for french press.

Thanks again for the pointers and help.

Phil
PhilT

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods