Starbucks French Presses

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Starbucks French Presses

Postby SlowRain » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:55 am

I know Bodum makes some 32oz. French presses for Starbucks (I have one), but someone else seems to manufacture their 12oz. ones--or at least I'm assuming it's someone other than Bodum as it only says Pyrex on the glass, and there doesn't seem to be any Bodum markings on them at all. (Sorry, I can't seem to find an example of one in their online store.)

Has anyone ever tried their 12oz. French presses? Are they okay? Or is a French press a French press no matter what you buy?
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

RE: Starbucks French Presses

Postby lukas » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:57 am

I don't know about that specific french press, but if you get a no-name one make sure the metallic sieve/filter is okay. I've had cheap ones where they were badly bend and useless, with bodum they're usually okay.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Jules » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:12 pm

There is some variation in the quality of the Bodum range too. I've used a few 1-cup presses where the screw on attachment to the fiter has been wobbly.

The other thing to look out for is how well the spiral plate (springy part of the filter assembly) presses against the glass wall. I have a 12-cup press which produces a lot of sludge because of a worn spiral plate.

My favourite press is a 8-cup Bodum Chambord. It's well made and I love how it looks.

I ordered 3-cup Bodum Columbia from Amazon after watching that Square Mile video. :lol:
Jules

Return to Other Brewing Methods