The vac pot coffee today was a total failure

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The vac pot coffee today was a total failure

Postby Terje » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:03 am

What did I do wrong?

I did everything as I've done it the previous days, with great results, but today the thing didn't brew coffee, it gave me tea!

I roasted the same amount of green beans that I've roasted the previous days. That's one spoon of greens of the spoon that comes with the aeropress BTW. I took Harar this morning, just like yesterday. It's a great coffee and I need to finish that bottle.

If I did anyting differently it was perhaps the roast, it was more medium than dark but not a big difference from previous days.

While I was doing this the vac pot was slowly heating up. As the water started to rise I ground the beans and poured it all in, gave it a stir and waited for three minutes before turning out the lamp.

But instead of coffee in my cup there was tea, dark tea! Is it the filter that needs to be replaced? Has God turned against me?
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

RE: The vac pot coffee today was a total failure

Postby Aadje » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:55 am

Hey, that's not a bug, it's a feature! :roll: 8)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Terje » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:15 pm

Should I just add more grounds, or less even and/or let them brew longer? Or this is what it'll do from now on? Tea?
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Aadje » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 am

Obviously, I have no clue. I used a vac pot once, but I truly don't the ins and outs. The only thing I can think of is that something is wrong the grind or the amount of grounds.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby fred25 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:41 am

I agree with Aadje - is there anything wrong with your grinder? If you get something akin to tea, sounds like the grind was pretty coarse...

On a sidenote, do you roast coffee by the spoon? That's taking microroasting to an entire new level! :D
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby lukas » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Have you stirred the grounds? If they didn't get in motion during steeping, it could very well be possible that they just didn't extract much. I always give the grounds a good stir directly after adding them to the water.
Otherwise, no idea, besides getting a scale and measure the amount of grounds used per litre :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby triptogenetica » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:56 pm

I roasted the same amount of green beans that I've roasted the previous days. That's one spoon of greens of the spoon that comes with the aeropress BTW.

As Fred25 asks - are you roasting spoon by spoon? That's devotion! I'm going for about 150g-200g per batch, roasting two kinds of beans at a time (one decaf, one normal), and I thought I was roasting often...
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Return to Other Brewing Methods