The Roast Date Wait

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby YouriV » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:47 pm

The off gassing technique will make a big difference in my opinion. Different roasters will give very different answers to this and some coffees can be used 24 hours after roasting. But yes, the flavours do change over time, it's perfectly natural that this happens. Just like a loaf of bread, the flavours change.
Last edited by YouriV on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
YouriV

Postby charmon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:04 pm

The opportunity arose to have a look at this more closely so i decided to test on the day of opening and five days after. I decided to test with a 3 cup cafetiere as the variables were easier to control,and i could do it in the comfort of my own home! Just click on the blog link and its the latest post.have also being paying close attention to the Espresso and it seems that the roast level has a massive influence on its deterioration
charmon

Postby kingseven » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:22 pm

I think it is generally accepted that darker roasts age faster, much like decaf ages faster, because of a more fragile bean structure letting more of the good stuff go sooner.

Very light roasts - like the roast you posted about Colin - will generally hold up a little longer.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby charmon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:50 am

Ah,you'll let the cat out of the bag james! I'll post the second part tonight and reveal the bean then. Received lots queries wondering what it was but thought it better to focus on the test first and disclose later
charmon

Postby kingseven » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:48 pm

I didn't think I had - it was just a light roast from the photos! Looking forward to the next part!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods