Just got myself a vac pot, filter question

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Just got myself a vac pot, filter question

Postby Terje » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:37 pm

Funny thing to use. Nice on the table. I found out that if I light the lamp first and then start roasting the beans in the frying pan the timing is just about right. I'll have time to make a sandwich too.

One question right now though... Mine uses a cloth filter. It's turning nasty pretty fast and somehow it seems too effective to me. I'd like a metal filter that would let some of those nice, tasty oils thorugh. Any suggestions?
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

RE: Just got myself a vac pot, filter question

Postby kingseven » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:39 pm

The cloth should let the oils through - I've just got a vacpot too, and keeping the filter clean will be a challenge. Mark Prince recommends OxyClean but I don't really know what that is!

I keep meaning to dig out my old Cona too to see how glass filtration compares.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Oxyclean works well on laundry stains. Here is a link :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:16 pm

Basically, it's the same as espresso machine detergent. Only less aggressive to the cloth ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Re: RE: Just got myself a vac pot, filter question

Postby Terje » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:29 am

kingseven wrote:I keep meaning to dig out my old Cona too to see how glass filtration compares.

So, that one has no cloth or paper in the way, huh?

The Bodum one is the same I think. Gave mine to my stepson who is afraid to use it.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

RE: Re: RE: Just got myself a vac pot, filter question

Postby syscrusher » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:28 am

I have the plastic bodum filter disk and a glass rod one, that I alternate on my Santos.
Both seem roughly equivalent as far as efficiency of filtration is concerned. Both, however, are prone to clogging.

Strangely when I was using a coarse french press type grind (not like James' "coarse") it seemed to clog a lot more. When I moved back to more of a pour over type grind it seemed to happen less. I don't know if this is a grinder specific problem... :?

Biggest problem with the vacpot for me is temperature control. There isn't any. At least not in an easy way like the French press.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby kingseven » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:32 am

I have been using a rapijet burner and getting very controllable brew temps in my Hario TC-2 - holding steady to the degree with a k-type probe in there. I do it the barismo way - you get the water stable then add the coffee.

And your clogging is likely a grinder specific problem sadly - was it the Macap?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby syscrusher » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:37 am

No - the NS Grinta, and before that a Gaggia MDF. Never tried the Mahlkonig Guatemala with the vacpot before I sold it :(

I tried getting the brew water to stabilise in the 91-95 range, but it seems to want to keep creeping up towards boiling. Perhaps it's just that my gas hob, even on the lowest setting is too strong.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Return to Other Brewing Methods