Test Driving a Moka Pot

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Test Driving a Moka Pot

Postby charmon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:21 am

I recently picked up a moka pot and have decided to give it a bash this weekend. However,instead of messing about with the tried and tested methods available online i was hoping someone could fast forward me to the latest cutting edge method used in moka pot circles that would ensure optimum enjoyment. I feel it is only fair that i admit that i am sceptical about its merits and am in no way looking forward to this but if i've learned anything about coffee its that we should always question our assumptions.even if it will probably taste terrible and waste some wonderful beans....:)
charmon

RE: Test Driving a Moka Pot

Postby lukas » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 pm

1. have it clean
2. have it clean
3. make damn sure its clean
4. make damn sure it has no residue of cleaning stuff whatsoever left :)
5. fill hot water to just under the valve, or a little less
6. fill filter without any tamping whatsoever(!), but little overfilling is okay
7. screw together
8. put on medium heat
9. watch it
10. when the coffee comes flowing off the top, watch closer
11. the first signs of spurting - take away from heat
12. serve

(what worked for me quite well was continously taking it from heat until I saw that the flow reduced and putting it back on heat for a few seconds - that way it didn't overheat). I have no idea on the optimum coffee per litre ratio for these beasts, though - managed to survive with just trying there :)

13. clean that darn thing
14. if its aluminium, make sure it's clean and dry before storing away, otherwise you'll get funny stalagmites and stalagtites in the lower part. have fun and vary as necessary :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby charmon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:44 am

Thanks for that Lukas,i'm gonna give it a try later now.i'll let you know how i get on.i'm not sure what to expect in the consistency of the coffee but sure thats half the fun.
charmon

Postby GeorgeW » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:43 pm

I've found (after using these pots for forty years) that the lower the heat the better. Never fear, they do produce the goods even on the lowest heat, and deliver a good, robust mug of hot coffee, just perfect for breakfast.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Return to Other Brewing Methods