French Press Technique

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

re

Postby dsc » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:31 am

Hi Bombcup,

I think it might be a combination of grind and the method (Jason was using drip). I will try to get my hands on some paper filters and a porcelain filter holder and see how that tastes. I will also experiment a little with various grind settings and brewing times. I have to be honest I was shocked how good that Yirga was from the drip/Ditting and how bad it was from my Macap MC4 and FP.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: re

Postby Bombcup » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:27 pm

I love that Yirg in a press, it is definitely possible to get the lemons into the cup using this method. Better get it right quickly though, that's the last of it for a while!
Bombcup

Postby dsc » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Bombcup,

that's what I'm worried about, I only have around 200g left and still can't nail it. I tried grinding coarser today, but still I'm mostly getting heavier tastes in the cup, it's really lacking that lightness that I could definitely feel from the drip. I might try brewing for only 3min instead the usual 4min and see if it changes anything taste-wise.

How coarse do you grind for the FP Bombcup? is it like sugar or more like rock salt?

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Bombcup » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:07 pm

OK, I go for really coarse grind, yeah rock salt is about right, maybe a bit finer than that but coarser than sugar. 50g for 750ml of water and 3 minute steep. You're right about it getting heavy after longer than that. I like about 93* ish to keep it edgy, I guess you have a thermometer in your kitchen / lab(!) but if not then open the lid of the kettle and let it stand for 2 minutes after boiling. Oh and I like to pour about 60ml onto the grounds and let it bloom for a few seconds before adding the rest of the water and starting the clock.

Hope this helps.
Bombcup

Postby dsc » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi again,

well here's how mine looks like:

I guess it's a bit like sugar, but before going coarser I will try steeping for 3min only and check the effects.

Thanks for the tips!

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Bombcup » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:53 pm

Looks about the same as mine, I'd post a picture but got no macro. Feels gritty and hard between your fingers right?
Bombcup

Postby dsc » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi Bombcup,

yeah it does, the particles are about 1mm dia each. I think it's down to steeping time, but I will need to confirm that. Hard water might also be a problem in my area so I will try using water from my Elektra and see how/if that changes the taste.

Still the Chemex and paper filters seem quite interesting although I'm not sure if I have enough space for more coffee stuff.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby SlowRain » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:10 pm

James,

What scale did you use in this video? I see it's by Salter, but what model? What's the capacity and resolution (in grams)? Here's the difficult part: Is there some sort of rating for the speed at which it refreshes? The reason I ask is because I just bought a scale today (Satrue SA-H500), but it doesn't update nearly as fast as yours does when you're pouring in the water. How can digital scale buyers compare the speeds at which scales refresh?

On another point: What scale manufacturer was used for the Marco Ãœber Boiler?

Thanks.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby Skippy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Great video (and the other ones too) with my kitchenaid grinder i dont think ill be eliminating the mud from the french press but theres some good advice there. I hadnt thought of using the scales to measure water before.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby Jaanus » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:09 am

SlowRain wrote:James,

What scale did you use in this video? I see it's by Salter, but what model? What's the capacity and resolution (in grams)? Here's the difficult part: Is there some sort of rating for the speed at which it refreshes? The reason I ask is because I just bought a scale today (Satrue SA-H500), but it doesn't update nearly as fast as yours does when you're pouring in the water. How can digital scale buyers compare the speeds at which scales refresh?

Thanks.

Don`t know about the question of refresh rates, but i`m pretty sure the scale used for Marco über-boiler was also a Salter
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Skippy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:05 pm

SlowRain wrote:James,

Thanks.

my hanson scales are the same as yours, much slower refresh rate than all of the salters that ive seen since buying them.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby MKSwing » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Hello,
Very interesting video. I saw another method, still with 4 minutes wait but including 1 minute mixing at the begining with a spoon. This is what I do and the result is quite good.
I will try your method but why do you prefer this method ? Apart from the plunge, it's a lot like a cupping session :)
Oh, and the grind is not as coarse. I'd grind like you but at the moment I can only buy ground coffee (Yeah I suffer a lot, but it won't last long :)), so maybe comparing will be difficult... We'll see.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 pm

You can only buy pre-ground? Hah! You might as well be drinking Ricoré mate :P
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby dsc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi guys,

I believe the scale was Salter model 1036:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-Design-E ... 833&sr=8-1

I just got it and I have to say it's not bad but I'm sending it back as I don't like the design. The metal disc is not separated from the rest of the body which means that when you even touch the buttons the value shown changes (touching the body does the same thing). I'm going to buy this one instead:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-Stainles ... B00140VYBE

it looks like it has a stable base and the metal disc is separate from the body.

Regards,
dsc.

dsc

Postby Jules » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 pm

dsc wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-Stainless-1035-SSBKDR-Electronic/dp/B00140VYBE

it looks like it has a stable base and the metal disc is separate from the body.

I have that one. I got it from Argos for 15 quid iirc. It works quite well for press.
Jules

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods