French Press Technique

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:59 am

Aadje you heathen :P
espressomattic

Postby Gwilym » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:28 pm

having thought i did not like coffee through a plunger this has changed my opinion. i wait with excitement the arrival of my new purchase.
Am interested to hear how regular users of plunger feel about this technique
Gwilym

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:09 pm

I always stir when I first place the water in, just to make sure of no clumps
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Neo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Do you mind if i sent the link to others, as a reference?
thanks
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby kingseven » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:45 pm

link away!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby radish » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:11 pm

FYI - Mark Prince's press pot technique is described in this recent CoffeeGeek article:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/tastings/11-15-2008

It's pretty much the same as the steps outlined by Jim, but with a saucer used to cover the pot during the steep!
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

Postby geedee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:13 am

I put the plunger mechanism on ... but don't plunge until after I have skimmed
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi guys,

if you hit the correct grind setting the results in the cup are really nice. I'm still left with some dust on the bottom of the cup, but nothing to worry about and I can almost empty the whole cup when drinking (I couldn't do that previously because of the sludge).

I think you can skip the stirring at the beginning if you pour the water around the glass and make sure you 'sink' everything that wants to float. Oh and when taking out the crust from the glass make sure you do it in one clean sweep, because it sinks really fast the moment you break it.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby SlowRain » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:14 am

An interesting technique. I'll have to give it a try sometime. But I also want to say it was a very informative video and nicely done.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby Beanie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:46 am

I wish I could do this at work... but the lines can get so long... and if we do ONE, we'll have to do them ALL that way. Right now, I just swirl it while the water (from the water tower kettle thingy) is poured into the FP, moving the FP up, down, and around to get all the grounds wet. Then I set the plunger on top and push it down maybe 0.5cm into the water, then give it to the customer and tell 'em to wait 3.5 - 4 minutes before taking about 5-10 seconds to push the plunger down.

I never thought I would, but I've been enjoying FP since I started working as a barista. I only have it when I can share it because it's about 2 mugs full and all I need is a little less than a capp cup's worth. I tend to drink FP only when we have a new origin in. I can't quite recommend a coffee if I haven't tasted it yet, after all ;)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby namelessone » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:59 am

I tried this, using 25g coffee (measuring using a scale) for a 330ml press.. I waited 4 mins, and used as coarse as possible grind in my dualit grinder. However the resulting coffee, though it had a very full body and taste, it was also very bitter and that made it undrinkable. Any idea what could have went wrong?
namelessone

Postby charmon » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:23 am

I'd say you need around 375ml for 25g going by the ratio of 8.5g per 125ml.if its a three cup for one person just go for 17g with 250ml.i tend to get the best results with my 3 cup,although how you get three cups worth out of it i'll never know...
charmon

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:29 am

A few of us were talking about this at the weekend. What we need is a reverse plunge FP. Should be easy to produce, just a normal FP but with more of a basket at the bottom, than a plunger. Thus, you put the "new plunger" in first, coffee on top, then water, wait until you need to, then rather than scoop, lift up the plunger and the basket does the job of scooping the coffee. Should be nice and quick too. The other thing we considered, was some kind of Bodum tea pot basket affair. Thankfully the hols are coming, and might actually have some time to play!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby syscrusher » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:37 pm

I knew I had heard of a "pull up" French Press before that had been discontinued. I couldn't for the life of me remember the name... until now.

The Trudeau Tirra

http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-Tirra-Cof ... B00062AZA2

Not sure how good the implementation is, though I suspect given that they are no longer made, it may not be great. As far as I can tell the grinds go in a basket, which is pulled out of the brew at the end.

There's a few floating around on US ebay.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby SlowRain » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Isn't one of the ideas behind a French press that the finer grounds sink to the bottom first and, when fully plunged, the coarser grounds prevent (some of) the finer ones from getting past: sort of like a two-filter system--grounds first then screen? In a pull-up French press, I think you'd get more grounds and fines sneaking into the cup.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods