Percolators Percolators Percolators

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Percolators Percolators Percolators

Postby espressomattic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:01 am

So I wanna know about Percolators.

Who has used them, what is the best coffee, roast etc. I am currently winning one on Trade Me for $1.50 (65p) and am keen, OK just plain curious about them.

Cheers

Percomattic
espressomattic

RE: Percolators Percolators Percolators

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:28 am

We have a couple. They do have a rep for over extracting as the coffee cycles round and round, but I think they do a decent enough job with caramelly type beans like Colombians or sweet Brazillians. My guess is that anything earthy would be fairly dire. worth a punt though mate. I think you'll enjoy experimenting and will be able to make decent brews with next to no hassle :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:12 pm

I used one for years before moving to a Moka pot. The biggest danger is over-extraction as cakey has mentioned. In my opinion they are inferior to the Moka but tastes do duffer.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby espressomattic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Cheers gents :)

I did wonder about the over extraction. I just cannot get to grips with Mokas though George. Saying that do you use the Stainless Steel or Aluminium ones?

I think you could be right about the beans Cakes.

Will let y'all know.
espressomattic

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:37 pm

I have used both but now use the Alu ones and have failed to see any difference. The secret is in how you heat the thing. Don't pack the coffee too hard and then fill the bottom with boiling water, With heat at low and be patient and wait to hear the last of the water bubbling to the top. Take off heat before the coffee itself begins to boil. I brew two large mugs in the morning and it takes around 7-8 mins I think. Grindd used is coarser than espresso ground as too fine will bring out the oils and make it bitter.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Return to Other Brewing Methods