Chemex Half Moon Filters

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Chemex Half Moon Filters

Postby radish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm

I've had the 3 cup Chemex for a wee while now and generally like the coffee that it makes, however I do find when I rinse the filter with hot water you can detect a distinct papery/pulp smell and taste in the water.

Reading the "Bleached vs Unbleached" topic on Coffeed, someone mentioned that the half moon filters (used with the 3 cup model) had the most distinct pulp smell/taste.

Has anyone that has used both half moon and full filters confirm this?

Thanks
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

RE: Chemex Half Moon Filters

Postby lukas » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:06 pm

Hey Radish, I can't really say anything about Chemex filters, but I generally do rinse the paper in hot water before I brew coffee with it. In the beginning I wondered why at all I was doing it, but when I forget it now (happens sometimes ... my brain is black hole) I notice a distinct papery taste that is not so enjoyable.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Chemex Half Moon Filters

Postby al_bongo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:08 pm

Can't really comment on the papery debate, for me it's never been much of an issue, at least when you rinse the paper filters with hot water first.

I do use the 3 cup Chemex and the 6 cup model (full filters). For the record the 1x2 Melitta and the 1x4 Melitta. For me it is more to do with the optimal quantity of filter coffee to make and I think brewing a couple of mugs (20-24oz) using either Chemex or Melitta always tastes better than a single mug in either of the smaller size of brewer. Certainly you can adjust the grind, but I always seem to get better results, brewing the larger volume which means that the total brew time is more towards the SCAA standard of 3-4 minutes. This for me is the main difference between the sizes of the brewers. (aiming for this time with the smaller brewers, for me always means over extracted coffee-usually 2.5 to 3 mins max I find optimal for the 3 cup Chemex)
al_bongo

Return to Other Brewing Methods