Large Volumes

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Large Volumes

Postby LeedsPokerGuru » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:13 am

Best way to make ok-ish coffee in largish volumes.

Espresso machine is good for a tastey double but not when I want to make a flask full for golf.

Same goes with Aeropress. Good for a cup at work but hassle to go to the kitchen downstairs o clean before making another cup.

Fire away
- Izzo Vivi
- Macap MC4
- Dualit/Solis Grinder
- Aeropress
- French Press
- A whole lot of patience :)
LeedsPokerGuru

RE: Large Volumes

Postby lukas » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:59 am

You have quite some methods to choose from! There's the Vacpot, which can not only produce great coffee but also looks like magic or alchemy. You can use a plain old Melitta manual pourover filter. You could use one of the bigger Chemex'es, or a big french press. All methods are able to produce good coffee, some favour one over the other (I love Vacpot and I'd love to try the Chemex).
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Beanie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:38 am

How 'big' is the flask? As in what volumes are you looking to fill? Maybe a good 2x double Americano might do?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Jaanus » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:31 am

or maybe, he needs a gallon-brewer like Bunn, Fetco or similar. And then there is the big La Cimbalis that have a "thermo-group" - a bigger grouphead along with a bigger portafilter, just add about 140-150 grams of ground coffee and it will produce 2.5-3 liters of *ugh* cafe crema..
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:56 am

Where is a love for a good quality filter brewer, I have a Bravlor TH20 and use it every day without fail, it makes lovely coffee.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby ivdp » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:48 am

I don't mind to wait a few minutes for a good espresso . . .
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby bruceb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 am

Yeah, you mean you don't have a 2-group machine built into your golf cart?! :twisted:

I find that espresso and espresso based drinks do not hold up well, tastewise, in a vacuum flask (or any other way, for that matter). They need to be consumed as soon as possible for good flavour.

There are a couple of excellent filter brewers available and a simple pour-over Melitta filter makes a fine, clear pot of coffee that will last in a Thermos for some time. If you take milk don't mix it in the thermos, but take it along separately.

Coffee from the French press doesn't seem to hold up as well, possibly because of the particulate matter that invariably finds its way into the flask.

Alternatively, you can give Starbucks a ring and have them deliver a Clover-brewed cup. :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby ivdp » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:12 pm

If I need to depart early by car and have breakfast in the car, I fill my vacuum flask with "long" espresso's.
Roughly double the size, so for a double, 120 cc
I like this better on the roas than filter brewed.
Taste is Ok as long as the coffee is hot.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby LeedsPokerGuru » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 pm

I could modify this into a golf cart :twisted:

At work I'm without a sink in the immediate area and making 6oz americanos fill a litre+ flask would take about 6 doubles. So it's convenience and time without losing too much quality (instant).

Drip pot sounds good. Convenient but I was always lead to believe quality wise not up to much.
- Izzo Vivi
- Macap MC4
- Dualit/Solis Grinder
- Aeropress
- French Press
- A whole lot of patience :)
LeedsPokerGuru

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 am

Wow! The trailer is great. You could pull it behind a golf cart, of course. :wink:

Yes, you're right about most filter coffee machines. The water hits the coffee at about 75°C and gives an inadequate extraction, usually watery, bitter and sour all at once.

There are other machines, however. The Technivorm Moccamaster (Dutch) is available in a number of configurations with glass jug or vacuum flask and makes an excellent brew. They are hand built and in the Netherlands and are still quite affordable, if not exactly cheap.

Steve mentioned another good filter machine recently, but I forgot the name.

You can use paper filters or a permanent gold filter if you think the paper somehow detracts from the coffee.

Alternatively, a simple Melitta pour-over filter with paper or gold filter does an excellent job, assuming you don't mind using a kettle and hand pouring the water.

Good luck. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Bombcup » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:45 pm

I would second Lukas' suggestion for a vac pot.

A size D Cona vacuum brewer makes a full litre of superb coffee and should serve you well for a flask. Also it filters the brew much better than a french press so there are not so many fines turning the coffee nasty when kept warm.

It also happens to be my favourite method for brewed coffee full stop. The fact it makes a litre is just a bonus as you'll always want to go back for another cup!
Bombcup

Postby zix » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:13 pm

And I would second ivdp and Beanie about using the espresso machine. I have tried long shots, this is what I use.
I never make a whole litre though. A half size thermos is enough for me and one other espresso lover with this method.

Choice number two for me would be Cona. If I have the time to mess around with it. Lovely coffee from that one too, and the one I would choose should my mother happen to be on the same outing.
Edit: yes, the forgotten Melitta filter would work well too! Much better than an electric drip brewer.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Steve » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 am

Electric drips rock if you get the right ones, I love my filter so much straight into the air pot and good coffee for around 2 hours.

But like everything you get what you pay for.
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Other Brewing Methods