Starbucks buy Clover!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Starbucks buy Clover!

Postby radish » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:58 pm

FYI - Starbucks have bought the Coffee Equipment Co, makers of the Clover. Some more details here :

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/new ... s/1221296/

(edit: the site has an annoying advert, so best mute your speakers before visiting!)
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

RE: Starbucks buys Clover!

Postby espressomattic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:08 pm

Before anyone slags it all off, I say go for it. The proof will be in the pudding so to speak. If they can genuinly improve the whole experince then that can only be a good thing.

Let the tirade begin...
espressomattic

Postby espressomattic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:09 pm

*double posted*
espressomattic

Postby Bombcup » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:46 pm

No, I agree. If starbucks can generate widespread public interest in speciality coffee then the whole thing can begin to expand and more high quality crops will be produced. That is of course so long as they improve the quality of their roasting. I have read that Starbucks do in fact buy some of the best beans available but spoil them with overly dark roasts and the logistical problems of distributing huge volumes of roasted coffee with a short shelf life.

If this situation is improved and Starbucks serve fresh well roasted high quality arabica from a Clover in their stores then isn't this what we've always wanted? I think most people secretly want *$ to stay crap so we can bash them from our coffee snob pedestals, but it shows they are listening and I hope it happens. Can't help thinking they'll screw it up somehow though.

What I worry about is whether they will still allow the Clover machine to be made available to outside customers, not jealously keeping it to themselves.
Bombcup

Postby AlexV » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:08 pm

Starbucks started by using La Marzocco machines and look where they are now. So using Clovers wont make a difference!
Cimbali Junior 21, Macap MXT900, Mazzer Kony GOD, Vacuum Coffee Saver
AlexV

Postby grib » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:34 pm

I was just on my way here to say the same thing, but looks like you've beaten me to it. This will undoubtably be mentioned on blogs far and wide over the coming weeks, but personally I'm not sure how to feel about the purchase. I guess on one hand it could be good for the public perception of coffee, then again with Starbucks' beans that may not be a good thing. We'll can only wait and see.

The article I saw on coffeeratings.com also mentioned Starbucks' new espresso machines, the Mastrena, which Howard Stern says is “an unbelievable tool that will provide us with the highest-quality, consistent shot of espresso that will be second to none,” Is this an espresso based Skynet? Are machines taking over? It's sad to say but based on a lot of coffee out there, this can only be an improvement.

Andrew
grib

Postby lukas » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:42 am

Wow. I'm shocked. What a smart move. Best PR, best machine, buy the hype and all technologies are belong to them (so to speak). Wow. Very, very impressive. Wow.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:12 am

I would have titled this "Wildly overpriced machine joins wildly overpriced coffee drinks."
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:04 am

:) So with the combination of both, things are only to get more overpriced.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:37 pm

Hey! The only way is UP! :twisted:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:21 pm

but what goes up, must come down . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Not true. Neither prices nor taxes ever come down. :wink:
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:00 pm

hmm . . . you got me there. Although in New Zealand, being on the other side of the world, it looks like our taxes are in fact going down.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Most people who have tried Clover have been very pleased with what's in the cup. Shulz's advisers are smart enough to roast lighter for the clover and leave the dark stuff for the superautos. Also the lighter roast will save money on the electric bills.

I can understand why Starbucks would want to marry good beans to Clover and install a couple of machines per milkbar - but why did he need to buy CMC to achieve this?

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:23 am

kingseven predicted the rise and spread of the Clover on his blog at the beginning of the year

"I am hoping this year sees people less obsessed with it as new technology and start to treat as a standard brewing device moving emphasis away from the machine back to the coffee. I could be really brave and predict that Starbucks will start using them, but I think the guys at Clover would curse me for jinxing them! I also predict I’ll buy a couple this year, but I am fairly sure that will come true….." http://www.jimseven.com/2008/01/02/5-pr ... e-in-2008/

you jinxed them JIM!!!
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods