Bitterness (drip pot/Rocky)...

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bitterness (drip pot/Rocky)...

Postby NottmSteve » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:19 am

As I have given up on my Espresso antics, through lack of an ability to grind between blocking my Gaggia, or making undrinkably weak coffee, I am now grinding bigger for drip.

However, I'm not sure of whereabouts on my Rocky's scale to go for my Technivorm drip brewer.

I know the "0" point is different on most machines and can be found by listening as you close down to zero. But, where do informed readers suggest I go to on the scale?

I was in the 30 to 40's for french press. Just wondering whether to go low or high?!

Any advice appreciated!
Last edited by NottmSteve on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

RE: Drip pot grind with a Rocky...

Postby lukas » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 am

Is it so bad with the Espresso?

Anyway, for filter I'd grind a bit finer than for french press, quite inbetween espresso and french press grind. It always takes me a while to dial the grinder in for filter, though - if it's too bitter, it's either too fine or too much coffee, if it's a very strange mouthfeel it's too coarse, if it's sour it was not enough coffee or too coarse. You might find the few articles that are already in the wiki helpful.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby NottmSteve » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:56 am

Ok....

My first use of my Technivorm drip was with Sainsburys Premium beans (at short notice, they were the best I could do).

The coffee was amazing, clean and fragrant, with lots of detail.

I then opened a bag of Brazilian from Hasbean. It had sat in the foil pack for a week unopened waiting for me to finish the other beans.

It is BITTER and hard to drink. The cup is bland, with hot water and biterness tase. The taste reminds me of chewing bitter stones in fruit (a dry and very nasty taste).

I'm stuck...

Does my equipment need a better clean? I'm using a swissgold which I always rinse.
Is it the grind?
Is it jst a duff batch of beans?
It can't really be temperature as the machine was fine....???

Anyone help me before I waste more expensive single origin coffee on making me grimmace?!

Cheers
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby Bombcup » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Not used one of those posh drippers meself but from your description it sounds like over-extraction. Bet you thought you'd got away from such terms by putting your espresso making on hold! I would start by increasing the dose, then experiment with your grind (My weary head is struggling to work out if you need to go coarser or finer right now) if that doesn't do the trick. Also make sure the water is not too hot as that can bring out the bitter flavours.

It would be most unusual to find a dodgy bag of beans from Hasbean, I've never had one and there should be no freshness problems if they're only a week old. Unfortunately using expensive beans to create coffee fit only for the plughole is all part of getting to grips with a new brewing method in my experience, but it's worth it in the long run. :)
Bombcup

Postby NottmSteve » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:15 pm

I'm sure it aint the beans... I would never suggest seriously I was sent a duff bag! Steve is more than a good help as HB.
I was more just thinking out loud that it was one of the variables...

Too hot? Hmm... the Technivorm sells itself on correct temps...

Must be the grind, or too little coffee. Maybe I have the wrong sized scoop, as it was sent afterwards by a supplier (didn't come with it).
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby NottmSteve » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:39 pm

Guys....

The stuff is still bitter as heck!

I'm grinding finer now, and have 5 scoops for 8/10 of the total water (5 to 6 advised for a full 10/10)

Gone from 40 to 30 on the Rocky... still as bad

PLEASE help, as I have used a whole bag of Brazilian and tipped it all down the sink.
Rancilio Rocky
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Return to Other Brewing Methods