Mass-producing Turkish coffee

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mass-producing Turkish coffee

Postby robin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 pm

For making one cup of Turkish coffee, the traditional method using an cezve/ibrik is the best. But in general, the more cups you make at one time, the worse the coffee will be (my maximum is three per cezve). However, for two or more people, you can actually get a decent cup of coffee using a mini-kettle (they're sold here in Turkey under the name kahvematik, but they're really just the kind of kettle sold to travellers who want to avoid paying for room service). You probably need the type that has a plastic grill over the element, since this will reduce the size of the bubbles. The method is similar to the traditional one.

1. As with the traditional method, use the coldest water you can get. FOr each person, pour one fincan (Turkish coffee-cup - usually slightly smaller than an espresso cup) into the kettle.
2. Add a heaped teaspoon (large British-style teaspoon) of coffee per person, and sugar to taste (again I normally use a level teaspoon per cup, which gives what Turks call orta şekerli - medium sweet)
3. Plug in your kettle.
4. When bubbles start to come through the pile of coffee on the surface, unplug the kettle and give the mix a good stir. I strongly recommend using a plastic spoon, in case you absent-mindedly stir before unplugging and electrocute yourself.
5. This is the important part: wait for at least three minutes. What makes most Turkish coffee made this way disgusting is that heating up the water too fast results in poor flavour (and no foam).
6. Plug the kettle back in and wait for the foam to start rising.
7. As normal, serve by pouring in a small amount quickly (to get some foam) and the rest slowly (to avoid excessive grounds.
robin

Return to Other Brewing Methods