using a blade grinder - any tips

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

using a blade grinder - any tips

Postby jon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:23 pm

I'll need to use a blade grinder at work for a bit. Any tips on how to get better results? Or just do the obvious...

TIA - Jon
jon

RE: using a blade grinder - any tips

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Get a Zass?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

RE: using a blade grinder - any tips

Postby Jaanus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:38 pm

well i think You`d be better off with a burr-grinder.. and i do mean it ANY burr-grinder... but if You haven`t really got a choice right now, i`d advise You to do a sort of barmanish (is that a word?) move and shake the poor little grinder while You`re at it.. makes it a bit smoother

otherwise size 9 boot and concrete works nearly as good :LOL:
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby jon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:17 pm

hm, still better than preground, though? Suspect that showing up with my own grinder too soon would be a little bit tactless ;)
jon

Postby BazBean » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi Jon..
you going to use a press pots I assume? a blade grinder is ok for this as you can have quite a course grind so the heat wont get too high ,...
either way fresh beans a blade grinder water and a mug is a decent combination. on my worst espresso day I would gladly swap for the simplicity and just honest coffee !
good luck
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby jon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:19 pm

ah - thanks for the positive thoughts :)
jon

Postby bruceb » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Blade grinders are fine for chopping up spices.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby ivdp » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:15 am

This is not fair to spices!
Spices need large, slow machines, (Turkish) stone grinders do the best job.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 am

Eeeeeeeh, now you tell me! No wonder my curries are always so bland. :shock: :cry:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby SlowRain » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:08 pm

The humble blade grinder. A useful tool under the right circumstances and with certain brewing methods that just doesn't get the love and respect it deserves.

Grind in short bursts--perhaps 3 - 5 seconds each. Shake the grinder while grinding. After each burst, hold it on its side with one hand firmly clamping the lid and give it an open-handed smack or two. Then do the other side. All of this is to prevent anything from caking to the bottom, as well as mixing everything around for a more even grind (and I use the term 'more even' loosely).
SlowRain

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Welcome to TMC SlowRain :D

I think the issue is with the uniformity of the 'choppings' rather than compaction per se, particularly with methods that require an even fine grind, like espresso. Of course, as you suggest, other more forgiving methods are probably reasonably successful with a blade' grinder'.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby SlowRain » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:14 am

Thanks, CakeBoy.

Yes, there are brewing methods that a blade grinder just won't work with. I used one for a year with my AeroPress, and was quite satisfied. I now have a burr grinder and can notice the difference, but I still give props to the blade grinder whenever I get the chance. It is, dollar for dollar, one of the best investments anyone new to coffee can make.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby Jaanus » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:43 am

What about pound-for-dollar investment?

Nah, just messin with ya :lol:
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:02 am

It is such a pity that it is so hard to source a decent zass these days, as there really is a gap in the market for a small portable grinder for situations like this. I know we all seem kind of negative when it comes to blade grinders, but I'd be curious to know just how many of us have used them at one point or another, I'd put this figure as pretty high. At the time, when I owned one, it was a step in the right direction for me, sourcing decent beans and only grinding for use, and I suppose this probably taught me the most.

The advantage that burr grinders have over every other type of grinder is their ubiquity. It is just so easy to walk into a kitchen suppliers or large supermarket and pick one up cheaply. However, I know that in the UK, you can pick up a starbucks/solis grinder for not much more money and it will likely outlast any blade grinder, sadly not as portable though.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby BazBean » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:09 am

my support and suggestion of inferior blade grinders is not that they are great its just that they are perfect for getting people into coffee.
in the shop my reccomendation allways has the condition attached that they have limitations but I have to remeber I/we live in a TMC world were most would sell a kidney for the perfect set up.

the other 99% are horrified when i suggest an enrty level grinder for £120+. they just cant see the leap and as they have not actually experienced stunning coffee at home yet why would they see value? my journey began with Rhombards top of cup filters and i was gradually drawn in.

after all many casual coffee lurkers here probably are put off joining when then the only option seems to be to appear hundreds of ££ to make something half decent.

sourcing bargins for the price of cheaper items is not as easy as we would all like thats for sure. unless your Cakey :wink: :roll:

the more peeps who are drawn aways from instant and pre ground can only further the chances of real coffee becoming more mainstream and the supply and demand principle to be helped on the way.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods