New manual drip brewer

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New manual drip brewer

Postby Skippy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 pm

I love my Hario Bloom brewer, but the cotton 'sock' is becoming a bit of a pain to keep really clean with regular use and ive cracked the glass by bashing it on a tap (opps!) so i was thinking of buying a new drip brewer.

I love the look of the Chemex ones, but not the paper filters that go with them. Can i get a swiss gold filter to fit in a Chemex? Or are there any other drip brewers i should be considering?
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

RE: New manual drip brewer

Postby kingseven » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:46 pm

I have to say that with a rinse in hot water the white chemex papers don't contribute any "paper" taste to the cup.

I've tried a swiss gold in one, and Steve gave me a Bodum Kona to play with which has been very interesting though is much less tolerant of grind that the Chemex.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

RE: New manual drip brewer

Postby Neo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:30 am

soak the flannel cloth in hot water(never boiling except for the first time) until water remains clear after 30min is fine. Change it after like 4 or 5 months, if you find lots of tiny fibers falling off or the flow rate drastically decreases then get a new one.
cant really help with the glass lol.
ok back to the topic, i drank quite a few cups made from a tiama permanent filter and it's nice, in terms of drip coffee.easy but taste worse than flannel, weaker body imo.
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby Skippy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Been a bit hectic lately so my new brewer plans were put on hold for a bit.

The Bodum Kona looks good but is it going to be ok paired with a Kitchenaid grinder if its choosey about grind? Presume the same applies for all swiss gold style filters?
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby psychomansam » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:27 am

when being lazy, i just stick a (small) swissgold filter straight into my cup and use it as is. They're good filters and i reckon your grinder would manage...

my tuppence
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

Return to Other Brewing Methods