milk with a presspot

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

milk with a presspot

Postby Chrisweaver » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 pm

well after my krups self-detonating, as some of you already know, if gone into my morning cappuccino withdrawal symptons, so this morning I tried something that I'd heard you could do, but never tried, I started off with filling my 2 cup moka pot (brazilian cachoera.. mmmm) and then whilst that was brewing I heated some milk in a saucepan to just over 70 to allow for cooling in the presspot, and then placed it in the presspot and pumped the plunger, then poured it into a milk jug, a bang and a swirl....

Flawless cappuccino milk, not one big bubble in sight, got to about 1 and a half the volume, perfect microfoam! obviously due to the moka pot, it was a weak cappuccino, but it was tasty nonetheless, and a lot cheaper than my krups which foamed milk worst then me blowing into some milk with a straw!
Chrisweaver

RE: milk with a presspot

Postby lukas » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:08 pm

obviously due to the moka pot, it was a weak cappuccino

That doesn't have to be; even the mokka pot can make delicious coffee. Just don't call it espresso please :)

The french press does nice foam, I haven't managed to do any latte art with it, but if feels and tastes very nice. Just be sure to clean that damn metal filter ... ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Chrisweaver » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:33 pm

ha haa it was cleaned of course!! I would never call a moka pot espresso, I agree entirely, it makes nice coffee, though due to the burning, its hard to get a true coffee taste from it!

I didnt try latte art this time seeing as there was a touch more foam than anticipated, and I had no crema on my moka, it always seems to dissipate all the lovely golden foam that originally appears!!

Chris
Chrisweaver

Postby lukas » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 pm

it makes nice coffee, though due to the burning, its hard to get a true coffee taste from it!

I think this is the common misconception about mokka pots. Though I believe it varies from model to model, coffee made with the mokka pot doesn't have to taste 'burned' (sorry Bruce, but you know what I mean ;)).

Just fill the filter with coffee (don't overfill, don't tamp or compact), fill the bottom with water (I usually do a full filter and about 1/2 to 2/3 full of water into the bottom on my 3-mug pot), gently heat and remove from the heat as soon as it begins to spit/bubble (or a few seconds before). Serve immediatly, as coffee tends to get really bitter if it's left in the pot.

:)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Neo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:12 pm

Again I am promoting hario bloom :D It do quite a nice cup but it's mainly designed for city to city+ roast. There're simpler versions w/o that glass jug but i'm not sure if you can find any. :D
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby Chrisweaver » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:24 pm

thats pretty much what I do, though you put less water in so i shall try that, It's not a really promminent burnt taste, just this hint that the water is coming through a lot hotter than I'm used too.

I actually have the hario bloom on my wishlist Neo, to buy at some point, though alas a few things come before I get round to it!!

I'm happy with my moka pot, it just tastes a bit like coffee my ex girlfriends dad used to make where he'd put milk on the stove add some instant coffee and let it boil away!! ha haha!!
Chrisweaver

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:14 pm

lukas wrote:
I think this is the common misconception about mokka pots. Though I believe it varies from model to model, coffee made with the mokka pot doesn't have to taste 'burned' (sorry Bruce, but you know what I mean ;)). :)

I understand full well. In fact, the burning with mokka pots is what has put me off on them. I have been experimenting with them recently and it has become clear to me that my dislike of them is based on my naive misuse of them. If one isn't careful, especially with the smaller ones made of aluminium it is really possible to boil and burn the coffee in the upper receptacle.

I have been using a little electric hotplate that is just a bit bigger than the base of the mokka pot and by keeping the temperature relatively low I can get a nice, syrupy flow and a drinkable brew, especially with the Columbian Huila I just took to second crack before ejecting. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Chrisweaver » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:29 pm

I have an aluminium one but its quite a well built one! Do you actually get crema on the 'espresso' then?? I put it on a reasonably high heat, but when i get some more coffee I shall put it on a low heat,. Also what kinda grind do you reccomend, out of necessity ive been using steves espresso grnd, but now Im getting my beans unground, so can grind them at the shop!!!
Chrisweaver

Return to Other Brewing Methods