French press

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

French press

Postby johnny » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 am

Just bought a me a nice littel one cup french press. .... Its soooo diddy :oops:

Anyway ..... it seems far far far too much hastle in dialing back the MC4 for a course grind, I cant be bothered to get the Gaggia grinder out, grind and then "dose" 9g of coffee ... and I am not using a hand grinder that early in the morning.

Apart from leaving more sludge in the bottom of the cup ... is there any reason I shouldnt use an espresso grind in the press ..... It seems to taste the same at that time of the morning, maybe a little stronger than usual ?
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

RE: French press

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:42 am

Hey Johny you be careful taking more Kitchen space ;)

Finer grind normally equals, shorter extraction, and be careful of that sludge :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:58 pm

yeah you might burn the grounds
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby BazBean » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:07 pm

also the small particles get stuck between the sides and the plunger walls and make it really hard to plunge as they act like a brake ........ you then haveto push too hard and OOOOPPPPPSSSS ! it either squirts hot coffee up in the air or flys everywhere .
( it occurs to me that my life maybe an episode from some mothers doo have em!!!)
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Olings » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Did anyone say Aeropress? :D

It'll deal better with those fine grinds, but you'd have to be really quick pressing down with the plunger. But that would also apply to the french press.

Myself, I have two grinders. One set for my espresso machine and one for everything else. The second one is really not that big nor pricey and is worth the hassle if you ask me.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:27 pm

BazBean wrote: ( it occurs to me that my life maybe an episode from some mothers doo have em!!!)

Fair enough Frank ;)

Edit: Typo
Last edited by CakeBoy on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby johnny » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:25 pm

Olings wrote:Did anyone say Aeropress? :D

do thay do 1 - 2 cup versions of them ? ...... and do they come with washable filters .. ie none of this paper stuff ?

My main argument against stuff in general is having to wash things up afterwrds ....a 1 cup french press cleans in seconds
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby HughF » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:31 pm

Aeropress does use paper filters. Some have cut "gold" permanent filters to size and used those but I haven't.
Clean-up with the Aeropress is very quick, definitely quicker to do a thorough job with the AP than French Press.
Mind you, I have both methods plus an electric vacuum pot at home and I've currently moved over to a Bodum Kona drip flask with a permanent "gold" filter - a little sediment but less than a French Press but still good flavour and quicker to clean thoroughly (slower than the AP though).

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:25 pm

I say hario bloom or any other similar products. You wont find any sediments in your cup and that improves the taste quite a lot. The body may not be as good as french press but still lot better than paper filters since oil droplets are able to pass through the cloth a bit.
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby espressomattic » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Bucket and seive method rocks.
espressomattic

Postby Olings » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:55 pm

Mostly I just chew whole beans and rinse my mouth with hot water. 8)

Seriously though I think chewing a bean is a really good way to dertermine if your roast is too light or too dark or not. It can be a good help for the homeroaster if you don't have a colorette or an agtron machine. It might just be roaster-superstition but I'll be damned if it doesn't give a pointer in the right direction.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby Richard » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:39 pm

Olings wrote:Seriously though I think chewing a bean is a really good way to dertermine if your roast is too light or too dark or not.

Are you talking about pulling a bean out whilst the roasting is going-on ?
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby Olings » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:30 pm

No. I do it after dumping the beans. It's no accurate tool, mind you, but I think you'd be able to taste it after while. Specially if your roasting the same type of bean a lot.
Olings

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:34 am

Olings wrote:No. I do it after dumping the beans.

Ah-Ok, I had this idea that you tasted the bean then maybe continued the roast.

As regards the 'french-press' V espresso, are you guys saying the espresso method produces coffee with no sludge and that sludge is the main precursor for 'off' tastes.

Oh-hell, I'm dreading a positive answer on this question because I can't possibly afford to buy a machine yet.

I have probably stayed with my french-press because of pals who have gone-out, purchased expensive machines and produced what I consider poor coffee by either buying grounds or beans from a supermarket chain, even worse, they have used the machine to illustrate they can produce tarry-black coffee that tastes nothing like the coffee I love.

Ok, I love my coffee with half/half cream/milk, even better is the full-fat milk from Jersey cows, this habit seemed to raise a few eyebrows from those 'coffee lovers' but then who were they to judge me considering their short-falls.

I love this forum, even though I'm sure I can improve on what I'm producing, I'm producing coffee that I like very much and can't be produced just by buying expensive kit.

So, is moving away from a french-press towards an espresso machine a positive move in terms of coffee-quality or is just a preference ?

Lay answers together with science would be very interesting. :D
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby bruceb » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:40 am

I can really heartily recommend the Aerobie Aeropress for roughly 1/100th the price of a good espresso machine. You may even find that the coffee made with it is so soft and pure tasting that you will want to reduce the amount of milk you take with it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods