Aerobie Aeropress - I'm doing something wrong...help

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Aerobie Aeropress - I'm doing something wrong...help

Postby theDirector » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 am

A weekend away brought the need for me to dust off the Aeropress and pack it in my over night bag. Now, the last time I used it, I don't remember this happening, but this time, after adding the water and stirring for about 20 seconds, I noticed that all the water had already gone thru :-( ...what did I do wrong???
theDirector

RE: Aerobie Aeropress - I

Postby bruceb » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:37 am

If you're using a gold filtre that's normal (but not desirable). If you're using a paper filtre I'm guessing your water is not viscous enough (that's supposed to be a joke and I'm bad at jokes so I'm telling you here).

Actually, I had similar problems, so I use the inversion method. I don't screw on the black filtre ring, but insert the moistened piston before filling and set it on the counter piston down. I then add the the coffee and water to the filtre end, stir, screw on the ring with filtre, invert onto a cup and press.

I have found that pressing immediately after filling and stirring gives the best cup ever. It's not like a French press, for some reason.

If you really want to put the filter on first you will have to insert the piston at the top to close the cylinder and create a vacuum. That will keep the coffee from running through (with a paper filtre), but seems to me a kind of messy business. With a gold filter the only method that works for me is the inversion method as above.

Good luck.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Sounds like a grind issue perhaps?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby theDirector » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:54 pm

thanks for the tips...i am using a medium grind coffee and paper filter...the coffee still tasted good...but wondered if it would have been better if this super fast water loss hadnt occurred...I'll try it again today with my London water, that's bound to be thicker right :-) :-) :-)
theDirector

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:51 pm

LOL hmmm tasty London water :)

Try it a little coarser and also make sure the filter paper is flat (seems obvious but even the slightest corner turned up can mean its a lot quicker draining).
Steve
Founder Member

Postby theDirector » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:16 pm

very tasty this london water steve :-) plus it damages the electric coffee machines nicely :-) ... will try the beans a bit coarser...paper was nice and flat tho, so couldnt have been that...
theDirector

Postby bruceb » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:17 pm

Well, I use the most viscous water available, have tried varying grinds from filter down almost to espresso, double check the filter for flatness and do what I will, the water runs through once I add it. This is certainly true with the gold filter and although the water flows through more slowly with paper it is still almost all in the cup before I can put the plunger in. I have been inverting the press and get excellent results that way. I get no grounds in the cup, so I'm sure it's not a wrinkled paper.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:18 pm

Regarding my above post I'm an idiot and was typeing without thinking. Make the grind finer.

I too have found the gold filter does fall through a little quicker. The grind does have more influlense (or effluence with London water), but the finer the grind the less the water runs through I've found on the whole.

also updoseing the brew can slow it down a tad.

I'll go stand in the corner now with my D hat on :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby lukas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:20 pm

Hm, I wondered but that was clearly a case of 'Steve said that and he should know what he's sayinh' ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby zix » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:04 pm

Do you pre-soak the coffee with a little of the water before pouring the rest of it in?
I have problems with smaller doses, so I usually do 3 cups nowadays. Soaking helps, but it doesn't entirely stop the water-going-through happening.
Also, in dry weather I find this worse.
Perhaps the filter papers get brittle and let through more of the coffee as they get older?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby espressomattic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:23 pm

I have found using dehydrated water greatly improves the desity of the brew. If you use grade 7 dehydrated which is the most commonly available you will see a noticable difference. Saying that the grade 5 which is the most preferred grade here does give the cup a thicker feel if you know what I mean.

If the quantities are correctly mixed then the results can be pretty amazing. I am looking at the ratios to see if I can increase the density of the grade 5.

Anybody else here use Dehydrated water?
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Only the granules .......
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Aerobie Aeropress - I

Postby bruceb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:06 pm

espressomattic wrote:Anybody else here use Dehydrated water?

I didn't realise there was any other kind. :oops: :oops:
bruceb

Postby zix » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:11 am

Breako, I used to make my own dehydrated water, before I got the stove timer. You think I could re-use it in some way for the aeropress?
/curious
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:39 am

Erm ?

It's going take me some time getting used to you guys and the humour and after a weekend in the sea I'm tired and slow thinking :shock:

So I started to search for dehydrated water, honest :oops:

Ok, don't worry, I'm back.
I've been using the Aeropress now for a few days and initially I was mostly impressed by 'no-sludge at all'.
Then I started doing comparison cups between my trusty 2/3 cup stainless-steel French Press.

I couldn't tell the difference in taste now I have the grind correct for the press and I tried finer grinds in the Aeropress.

The Aeropress is a nice piece of kit for traveling, a little better than the SS French press considering secccurity at airports but generally I have yet to find a huge taste difference though I do apreciate the recommendation. (Bruce, was it ?)

I dont have any problems in use, I'm using soft Welsh mountain water that doesnt knacker the elements of kettles or leave scum on the shower screen. Maybe I need some of that 'Stink-City' water for solid taste. :D

Finally, as a consideration to those who are slow and may stare at your humor, could you please insert one of these ( :lol: ) if only until I get the hang of things on this forum.

(There was some humor in that)
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods