Why paper filters in the aeropress?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Why paper filters in the aeropress?

Postby Terje » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:25 pm

I hacen't tried it yet but I can't see why paper filters would make anything better. I've read on some site that the paper filters away particles that are bitter but really, if you want something that's not bitter why are you indeed drinking coffee when there is great chocolate to be had instead?

I will look for one, I will try it but I'm sceptical.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby lukas » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:14 pm

I don't really know. Ever since I had it I use the cutted swissgold filter, which works a treat and makes gorgeous coffee. Marcy gave me a few of the paper filters in Den Haag, I tried them once and wasn't happy - but that definitly needs more experimentation.

Marcy, by the way - the gethumbwini is awesome! Totally grapy, dark, and just great!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby scook94 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:22 pm

Erm, because the inventor and several testers blind tested paper and metal filters and (allegedly) everyone of them preferred the paper filters. I prefer the Swiss Gold filter myself.
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby zix » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 pm

I have no swiss gold (or other metal) filter, but am happy with it anyhow. Will probably be even happier with a swiss gold filter, but there are so many other important things in life, so...
NB: Mine is used mostly as a travel coffee machine, where I think it comes on its own. Even better than a moka pot, since we can bring hot water in a thermos, wife can have tea and I can have coffee.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Terje » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:05 am

scook94 wrote:Erm, because the inventor and several testers blind tested paper and metal filters and (allegedly) everyone of them preferred the paper filters. I prefer the Swiss Gold filter myself.

Iread that part too but then I started to realize that everything the inventor said about coffee sounded wrong to me.

Take away the bitterness? Why in God's name, why?

So there are other filters for it, huh? Makes sense they work better.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Terje » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:06 am

zix wrote:I have no swiss gold (or other metal) filter, but am happy with it anyhow. Will probably be even happier with a swiss gold filter, but there are so many other important things in life, so...
NB: Mine is used mostly as a travel coffee machine, where I think it comes on its own. Even better than a moka pot, since we can bring hot water in a thermos, wife can have tea and I can have coffee.

My mom has a plan to bring one of these when she goes for long trecking with her cousin in the norwegians mountains. That makes sense. I might bring one to Sri Lanka next time, that makes sense too. But that I should need it at home... nah, makes little sense. And man it is ugly!
Terje

Postby phil2spill » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:27 am

I heard somewhere that the inventor chose paper because he didn't want to be responsible for increasing his customers' cholesterol levels by letting all the unhealthy coffee oils through? Also, in theory the grind for a/p might be finer than you would use for swissgold 'drip', so potential for a muddy cup ?
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby scook94 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:05 pm

I've said it before, but the fact that he makes a choice on which filter to provide, based on what he believes about cholesterol, is pretty infuriating.

I use a Swiss Gold cut filter and grind at the same setting as I do for espresso and don't get a muddy cup.
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby zix » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Muddy cups - the fear of a press pot disliker, as I am. Good to hear that the swiss gold filter doesn't let powder through - I thought it would, actually.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby phil2spill » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:09 pm

scook94 wrote:I've said it before, but the fact that he makes a choice on which filter to provide, based on what he believes about cholesterol, is pretty infuriating.

A cynical person might mention continuing income from consumables sales too :wink:
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:18 am

phil2spill wrote:I heard somewhere that the inventor chose paper because he didn't want to be responsible for increasing his customers' cholesterol levels by letting all the unhealthy coffee oils through? Also, in theory the grind for a/p might be finer than you would use for swissgold 'drip', so potential for a muddy cup ?

Thats what I heard too, great device strange logic
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Terje » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:06 pm

zix wrote:Muddy cups - the fear of a press pot disliker, as I am. Good to hear that the swiss gold filter doesn't let powder through - I thought it would, actually.

What's your problem with a muddy cup now, son? :)

Really, I never got it. A muddy cup is the price you pay for great coffee. At work I sometimes brew right in the cup. Muddy isn't the word, I'm chewing coffee grounds with the first bunch of sips but man that coffee sure tastes fine!
Terje

Postby Olings » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:50 am

Personally I much prefer DRINKING coffee. :twisted: I like the Aeropress and don't see what the problem with the paperfilter is. Noone is forcing you to buy one and if you'd like to mod it with a swiss gold filter that doesn't seem to be a big problem. To me it's just preferable to get as clean a cup of coffee I can manage both regarding to taste and the amount of grinds in the cup.

My only beef with the Aeropress is that the instructions that comes with it are rubbish. Apart from this I think it's a wonderful one-cup coffee brewer.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby lukas » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:58 am

Amen.

May I add I love the swissgold'ed Aeropress ;)
If I want a clean cup I go out search for a clover :twisted:
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Terje » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:40 pm

Olings wrote:Personally I much prefer DRINKING coffee. :twisted:

Back in the good old dasy they ate the coffee grunds :twisted:

It was suppesed to be healthy too.
Terje

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods