Is a two cup moka pot better than a three cup?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Is a two cup moka pot better than a three cup?

Postby Terje » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:38 pm

I have a one cup and it is definitely my best moka pot. The three cup is decent but can't be compared, really.

Is a two cup somewhere in between?
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:53 pm

The smaller the pot the better the brew in my experience. I think it has to do with the amount of heat required to force the hot water up the spout through the basket and into the chamber. The larger the machine and volume of water, then the more heat this requires. It is possible to use less heat but it takes longer for the water to reach the temp needed to climb.
I use a huge pot for morning which makes two large mugs. If I use a small flame of gas and remove the pot just after it stops spurting into the chamber but before the coffee begins to boil, then the coffee is good. Not bitter, nor burnt, but just right.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Terje » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:21 pm

The big pots are hopeless. I have a six cup but I took my nine cup pot to work (where I don't have to drink what comes from it) because it was just annoying to try to get good coffee from it. The one cup makes a brilliant cup everytime.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby zix » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:56 pm

Yep, the small Brikka is reportedly better than the large one too. Haven't tried it, only have the small one.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Terje » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:07 am

To answer the initial question though, as I have now purhcased a two-cup moka pot, yes it is definitely better than a three-cup and a one-cup isn't that much better than a two-cup.
Terje

Return to Other Brewing Methods