Nope, I don't see the point in degassing for moka pot coffe

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Nope, I don't see the point in degassing for moka pot coffe

Postby Terje » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:41 am

I tried it, very scientifically. Gave the same roast three tries. Once immediately after roasting, once 24 hours later and then the last time about 60 hours later.

The first one was the best. It had the fattest crema and the freshest taste. The second time was still pretty good but the third time it had already started to taste stale.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby zapty » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:02 am

Good to know Terje, thanks for the experiment
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby technojock » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:19 pm

What sort of beans were they? I've found (in the FP) that Kenyans can be too acidy to brew without degassing, whereas others are much more tolerant. But that's in the FP, not the Moka Pot.
: Heatgun / Dualit / French Press / Aeropress :
technojock

Postby Terje » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:36 pm

What were the beans... hm... ah, it was own "esresso blend", which is at this moment in time about 30% robustas from my wife's village in Sri Lanka, roughly the same amount of brazilain Santos, some Harar I think and maybe I spilled some Monsooned Malabar in there too or Mysore Nuggets, wasn't paying attention. Good blend, but the main thing here is to take those robustas, something from South America and something Asian.

As for Kenyan AA in the press pot I drink those immediately and find them acidic but that's the taste I want because the acidity is fresh and tastes of black currant and lemon. If the Kenyans are old I don't get it.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby lukas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:02 am

How dark are you roasting them? I think the darker the roast, the faster they go stale ...
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby zix » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:47 pm

YES, very good Terje. I haven't done it as an experiment, but this confirms my experiences and memories of moka pot brewing very well. It is by far the best the first day and up to a day after.
Yes, darker roasts go stale quicker, but also, darker roasts usually taste better in a moka pot. Or so I think...
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Terje » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Yeah, darker roasts are better in the moka. This was fairly dark I think.

I should do this experiment with the press pot too.
Terje

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:03 pm

50% Braz Daterra with 50% MM is good in the Moka,and if you roast these fairly dark you have a good, thick, satisfying morning cup.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Terje » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:13 am

Perhaps similar to the blend I used to use. 1/3 cheap brazilian beans, 1/3 monsooned, 1/3 robusta.
Terje

Return to Other Brewing Methods