Aerobie Aeropress Resource Sticky Trial - Discussion Thread

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Tinseljim » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:32 am

As far as coffee recommendations two stand out to me at the moment as being just amazing:

1) Tegu AA (Kenyan)
http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/tegu-aa

2) Kenya Gethumbwini AA (haven't tried the Kanjathi yet which scores even higher! 97!)
https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Keny ... t-796.html

Both are amazing and if you can't taste blackcurrants (in both) then something is indeed amiss!

Those AP methods are interesting indeed. But what I don't get is at least two things:

1) Add 1dL or ~95g by weight of your water...
why is there an approx. sign in front of 95? 100ml = 100gm of water, unless it's fizzy water?!

2) i thought the point of the inversion method (which i use as well) was to plunge while it's inverted to benefit from the brew being pushed through the oily slurry bit on top. I know it's also to stop it dripping through while brewing as well but the main benefit I believe is lost in Ben's method.

Hmmm time for the last of the Tegu :)
Tinseljim

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:48 am

Tinseljim wrote:1) Add 1dL or ~95g by weight of your water...
why is there an approx. sign in front of 95? 100ml = 100gm of water, unless it's fizzy water?!

From a laboratory standpoint 100ml=100g of water is a very rough approximation and only applies at 4°C. The density of water is highly dependent upon temperature in a non-linear fashion.

For practical purposes this is not significant, but it's good to know and in special cases can be quite important (making cocktails with ice cubes, for instance). If it were not for the difference in density below 0°C the cubes would not float. Aren't you glad you asked? :roll: :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Tinseljim » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:55 am

Nice one bruceb - makes better sense now!
Tinseljim

Postby Lambo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 am

Richard,

Silly question time. How do you use the Aeropress "inverted"???
I'm just about to throw mine in the bin...

It's extremely limited because you have to have exactly the right size cup for it. The black plastic filter holder is too big for our nice cups that we use everyday for filter/press coffee. We've only got one chunky mug that it goes on - once that's been used I can't be bothered to wash a single mug each time I want a coffee.
And of course, if you use the wrong size cup it can be dangerous when pressing it down if it slips - hot coffee everywhere this morning - ouch :cry:
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:20 am

Lammy,
With the aeropress unassembled, insert the plunger into the main body roughly 1cm (until stable), then place this unit on a table so that it is sitting on the plunger. Next pour in coffee (so that it is now resting on the rubber plunger), followed by water. Then place the filter paper in the black plastic holder and screw into place carefully (making sure there are no gaps).
Hope that made sense.

Regarding cups sizes, if I want to use smaller cups, I simply brew into a metal steaming jug first, then pour from that.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Lambo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Merci Gouezzy!
I found some stuff on CoffeeGeek with pictures, so I gave it a go.
J'sais pas if it made any difference....
We don't seem to have anything that it fits on, apart from this one mug. My Motta jug is too small!

By the time I'd pratted about doing all that, I thought "Is it worth it?" Might try brewing as normal in the FP, then pouring it through my SwissGold filter thingy to see how much sludge it gets rid of.
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I find it very difficult that this thread has stuck, what's happening ?

The Aeropress is such a good tool, OK, for the espresso machine purists it might not hit the spot.

Press-pot coffee has a place and there are those who prefer the taste, when I sold my Silvia I did so after many comparitive tastings between conventional press-pot, Aero-Press and now Moka pot. The coffee type and the way it's used is more important than an expensive machine in my experience and the single most beneficial move in the right direction is roasting and grinding your own but you have to get that right or you're back to buggering-up the finest beans.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby bruceb » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Ahhh, I have not been doing my job, that's all. :oops: I must say that I had pretty much forgotten about this sticky. It wasn't supposed to be a thread in itself, I was supposed to gather posts about the Aeropress and sort through them and put useful and/or interesting comments and tips here. Mea culpa. I will begin going back looking for thoughts on the Aeropress and try to summarize or organize them here. If you have posts about the Aeropress please put them in the normal "Other Brewing Methods" section. Thanks!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods