how often to clean grinder...?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:28 am

The idea is to use something 'starchy' to lightly scrub the surfaces and absorb old coffee oils. The urnex tabs are somekinda corn starch iirc.

I prefer cheapo porridge rolled oats to rice since they're a lot softer. You can see the old grinds being pushed out. Then a thorough vacuum. Mini has got an idiotic void in the upper burr carrier which stores a couple of grammes of old grounds and the only way to clear that is with a full stripdown.

One thing worries me about using compressed air -- could you be blasting dust down into the motor bearings and wirey bits? I've never taken mine apart far enough to see how well they're protected from the grinding chamber.
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby jon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:16 pm

thanks - might give it a try, but tbh the antigua seems fairly well designed for cleaning ( a strip down and a brush seems to do OK :) )
jon

Postby bruceb » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:24 pm

phil2spill wrote:One thing worries me about using compressed air -- could you be blasting dust down into the motor bearings and wirey bits? I've never taken mine apart far enough to see how well they're protected from the grinding chamber.

I thought about this and decided to pull apart my grinders to see if I had filled the motor compartments with grinds. In fact, however, only the normal build-up of dust was in all three of them. I suppose some grinders could be built so it is possible to blow grounds down in there, but if they really are built that way I feel relatively certain that the motor would get a load of grounds even without compressed air.

In any case I'll go on puffing the bits out of my grinders. I'm too lazy to tear them down regularly and I don't think it's really good for them anyway. :roll: :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby monkey66 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:29 am

I don't know about the mini but the SJ has a plate over the bearing to keep it clean.
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods