Swiss gold (#4 cone) filter

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Swiss gold (#4 cone) filter

Postby wil » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi - This is my first post on TMC.
I've been experimenting with my grinder settings and Technivorm (filter coffee machine) in order to get the best flavour I can from my coffee.
I'm rapidly becoming a coffee obsessive - this site is not helping :wink: - but, having tweaked as best I can and filtered my water, I'm still looking to improve upon my last brews.
Currently I’m using paper filters, but apparently these absorb the coffee’s oils during the brewing process. To avoid this, I have read that a permanent filter will do the job, in particular the 'Swiss Gold' filter.
Having looked at the HB site, Whittards and a few others, the only filters available to purchase are the one-cup variety. I can't even find a cheapo nylon filter, the type usually free with any run-of-the-mill coffee maker. Even on ebay my search was fruitless! :x ...Who's got them all :?:

Due to only ever using paper filters, I’d just like to experiment, taste and compare the difference for myself; hence my question below.

I'd be very grateful if a forum member would recommend a permanent type filter (cone type size 1x4) and, if you know, please let me know from where it can be purchased?

Thank you for your time.
Regards
Wil
wil

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:48 pm

Pm Sent.
D
Edit... thinking about it, I suppose if you're after the best taste possible, then (in order of cost) people here would say, get the beans right (probably water too) and then either consider a french press or vac pot... don't think there are many people here using drip(?)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:26 am

gouezeri wrote:I suppose if you're after the best taste possible, then (in order of cost) people here would say, get the beans right (probably water too) and then either consider a french press or vac pot)

Or maybe an Aerobie? Welcome to the forum Wil :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:34 am

True, cheaper than a vac too!
Gouezeri

Postby bogner » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:49 am

I guess I'm one of the few on here using drip then? :) I use both the Swissgold cone filter and the one-cup (aside from Vivi ofcourse ;)), and I can only recommend both .. gets a smoother taste, almost like french press, but not quite as full .. but it's fast in the morning :)

I bought my filters at Risteriet.dk, but I don't think they ship outside of Denmark? so I'm afraid I can't help you with availability - but I can assure you it's worth the hunt ...
you may think you can fly, but you better not try ...

IZZO VIVI | MACAP MC4 | ZASSENHAUS 156 | MOCCAMASTER | SWISSGOLD | BEANS & CUPS & STUFF
never underestimate the importance of a good grinder!!!
bogner

Postby wil » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Hi - thank you all for the info. and for sharing your experience.

I have had some luck re. my search for a "Swiss Gold" filter, but I know it won't be too long before I'm looking to buy more equipment and I have made a note of the various brewing options suggested.

From what I've read about Vac pots, there seem to be a faff and particularly prone to breaking. The coffee produced, however, I imagine will be superb! The Bodum santos, electric vac interests me, but I've read mixed reviews about its performance.
Thanks again
Regards
Wil
wil

Postby BazBean » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:26 pm

Welcome Wil.

try this one
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.swissgold.shtml

i use a one cup and its fast n easy which is what i want in the AM.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby phil » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:37 pm

Swissgold filters are available in the UK. I bought a bunch of one-cup filters three years ago. They're stuck in a cupboard somewhere. I *think* they had larger versions available too. It's been a while.

I *think* the company that sold them to me was called Heathrow Housewares. I found them by writing to Swissgold themselves and asking for the name of a UK distributor / retailer. Wil, I suggest you do the same research and then see what's available.

I actually rather like the Hario sock-in-a-cup thing that HB sell. If I'm going to do drip. Which I'm not, most often. But that's not what you're looking for anyway.

On another topic: blimey Wil, you took a while to getting round to posting! :shock:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:34 pm

hmmm ok it is heathrow housewares but they dont normally sell direct, PM about UK suppliers
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:48 pm

Dunno whether he has bought one or not, but my original pm to Wil gave him a source, that we all know well, for swiss gold filters... just didn't want to be posting direct links to products in public, as that road would lead to people possibly reading my posts and taking them seriously, and we wouldn't want that now would we.... :D
Could someone please pass this message on to Steve, as he's still ignoring me, sulky g*t :lol:
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:48 pm

did you hear something :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:27 pm

Pardon? :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Thanks

Postby wil » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:58 pm

Wow! Thanks again for all the input guys.
wil

Postby Beanie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:42 pm

Just spotted HB's "What's New" section (a very very dangerous thing for my bank account to keep checking that section). But there it is: Swiss Gold Filter #4
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Joris » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:53 pm

Welcome Wil :)

Oh, I drink drip as well but only at my parents (gave them a Swiss Gold filter and I take my own fresh beans and grind them manually on the spot).
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods