Anybody seen these before?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Anybody seen these before?

Postby Jo2 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:11 pm

I found these at a flea-market a few weeks ago and it seems to me they have something to do with brewing coffee...
Would like to know more about them, e.g. where are they from, hoe are they used, stuff like that...
Anybody???
Attachments
cups.jpg
cups.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 15163 times
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 pm

They look like a bizarre cross between a percolator and drip filter. The holes appear too big to offer enough resistance for a drip brew, but there is no obvious way that I can see to brew by percolation. I'll bet some other the others will know straight away :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Oh, maybe you put the water in the solid metal section that you have on the cup to the right and then inset the grinds into the filter section seen on its side to the left of the picture. Then put that on the first bit and the "holey" lid on top of the whole shenanigans. Finally put the solid lid on that. Then apply heat to the bottom and percolate, before transferring the brew into the cup? Okay, probably not ............ I'll get mt coat :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:12 pm

It's a drip filter, like one bodem make. Coffee into the bit on it's side, but the bit with handle on top, put on top of cup, fill with hot water, put lid on and let it drip away...nearly Cakey. Nice bit of kit... :)

Do I get a prize? :wink:
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:40 pm

NO! :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:41 pm

:cry: Meanie :wink:

But I guess by your lack of answer Mr Carlos that I am right...no?

Hola!
espressomattic

Postby lukas » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:24 pm

A friend of mine brought something like this from Vietnam, if I remember correctly. I recall that the coffee was spiced, and ground extremely fine (like an espresso-grind), and you put some kind of heavily condensed and sweetend milk in it before brew ... fascinating.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Jo2 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:36 pm

espressomattic wrote:Do I get a prize? :wink:

Sorry, No Prize...
I also figured out it's a drip filter... The holes are quite big, so needs course grind... Then because of the lid (also with holes) you put on and press tight, the water poured on does not rush through, but goes slowly...

I have yet to find the best courseness, but getting there...

What i'm also wondering is: where are (or were) they used... Is it something typically from a specific country?

I found 4 more by the way, in my grandmothers cupbord...
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby espressomattic » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:03 pm

These are common in Vietnam
espressomattic

Postby JulieJayne » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:30 pm

The Vietnamese use a similar system, but Vietnamese one cup drip filters are generally of a coarser design. These are Belgian. Rombouts still produce a plastic one cup system, which developed from these.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby espressomattic » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:32 pm

Bodum do a nice one too, ideal for camping...
espressomattic

Postby Beanie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:00 pm

I think that this goes slightly beyond the borders of just Vietnam ;) I think it's "common" enough in S.E. Asia. IIRC (from about 25-30 yrs ago) AND am not mistaken, this may also be referred to as "Kopi C" in Malaysia, Brunei, and maybe even Singapore. Kopi, as you can guess means coffee... the "C" stands for the "condensed milk" which is very very widely used in SE Asia. If you hear "Kopi O", it means coffee black as "o" is very similar to one of the chinese dialects spoken in those countries for the word "black" :)

Some links to look at for "Vietnamese Coffee" :)
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/vietnamese/
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/vietnamesecoffee.htm
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia ... c0005.html
http://www.montrealfood.com/vietcoffee.html
http://www.ringsurf.com/info/Food/Coffe ... ed_Coffee/

That should keep you going for a bit ;) I've got lots more links if you want them :) but I think they all essentially say the same thing...
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Gwencafe » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:35 am

Not sure what the original items are, but here's my Vietnamese coffee press, assembled and disassembled.

Ground coffee goes between the two filter pieces and then you tighten the top filter down and pour hot water in from the top. (Hmm, sounds familiar...tamp...brew....)

Vietnamese Iced Coffee is lovely…plus this is my least expensive coffee maker. Less than £5 (or $10 US...I'm living on the Pacific Rim).
Attachments
brewingposition.jpg
Brewing position, ready to go
brewingposition.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 11507 times
partialassembly.jpg
Vietnamese coffee press - second filter in place (coffee goes between the filters)
partialassembly.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 11507 times
dissassembly.jpg
disassembled Vietnamese coffee press
dissassembly.jpg (37.31 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
Gwencafe

Postby memijn » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi,
I recognise the ones on the first image as the typical one-cup mugs that were (sometimes still are) used in bars and at home a long time ago here in Belgium. If I'm right, it's actually a Belgian invention. We still have the plastic ones on the market here.
Let's say it's the convenience aspect of Senseo long before DE came up with the idea.

http://www.koffiebureaucafe.be/html/totaalsplit.dhtml?page=hoe
memijn

Postby Gwencafe » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Interesting! Vietnamese cuisine has French influences...it's possible the coffee press got introduced from Belgium via France to Vietnam.
Gwencafe

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods