Moka Pot Trouble

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Moka Pot Trouble

Postby espressomattic » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:27 pm

OK I fouled up my Moka Pot I think...it was all nice and shiney and for some stupid reason I put it in the dishwasher :oops:

Now you have all stopped laughing....I am now left with a Moka that gives off a really metallic smell, although it doesn't appear to affect the brew. It is Aluminium I must add. Is there anything I can do to sort this smell out at all? :?
espressomattic

Postby RobC » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:46 pm

A peg to the nose????
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Aadje » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:46 pm

put it on the stove with just water and no coffee a few times and then make much coffee in it . . . oh and don't put it in a dishwasher again :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:04 am

Rob you logic is flawless :)

now onto the sensible answer....

I will try that tomorrow Aadje....the diswasher thing was a real senior moment on my part...
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:59 am

Heck Matt, what have you got left that's not broken (says he of a poorly Superauto)? :(
Last edited by CakeBoy on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby knucklehead » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:59 am

i've never used a moka pot. although i heard if you get the little ones they do real good coffee. no idea how they work, although i'm guessing it's a combination of water, coffee and heat...

sorry matt - that doesn't help you at all does it? (removing beak)
knucklehead

Postby RobC » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:07 am

Tis a simple device really KH - either Aluminium (although they turn you a bit nuts apparently) or stainless steel. Base holds water, add a filter basket that holds coffee, top has another filter which screws on. You heat it on your cooker, so the water produces steam which pushes through the coffee and into the top where it condenses into liquid coffee. The nearest to espresso you can get without buying the required equipment apparently :? Tour previous forum threads and you will find this method is preffered for certain origins and blends.
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:26 am

Let's just say Mark I am working my way through the household appliances...burnt out the Better Halfs hair dryer a few weeks ago btrying to blow up an air bed....

Still all those added chemicals I am getting in the Moka aren't having any effect...YEAH RIGHT...
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:33 am

Good man .... that's what I like to hear. Bet she was pleased with you! Maybe you could just upturn that "CHiPS" helmet from your avatar and brew up in that once you have finished off the rest of your kit :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby RobC » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:34 am

Scuse the long link, but the forum thread for Aluminum moka pots was

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... minum+moka

Not sure how this all adds up with some domestic dual boiler machines and bean to cup machines which use aluminium boilers for steam production (it heats quicker)
RobC

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:38 am

And on top of that I forgot Valentines Day big time......

Thanks for the Link Rob...it would appear then that as long as a Moka doesn't go in the dishwaser it should be OK...thanks for all of that...
espressomattic

Postby RobC » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:44 am

Just blame that Aluminium moka pot, you have proof now!

Didn't get home till gone 8 myself on the day, had to discuss some serious construction tactics with my mate in the pub. Then called in Tesco to pick up the ingredients for the meal I was cooking only to find they had sold out of the Steak I was planning on, and the replacement Beef joint took forever to cook :x
RobC

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:51 am

Ah the joys of being single ...... I knew there was something I liked about it :lol:

Looks like it's just us four old gits online again.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:54 am

Rob you are just full of good tips tonight...if I use long term planning here I have an excuse for forgetting the anniversary too!!! Cakey, you don't know how lucky you are... ;)
espressomattic

Postby RobC » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:03 am

Don't get me started, there was that great tip I had about cutting toenails with a scythe (from the Blackadder series, can't remember which one)
RobC

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods