With or Without Sugar?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: CakeBoy, GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb

Do you drink you coffee with or without sugar?

With Sugar
26
30%
Without Sugar
62
70%
 
Total votes : 88

Postby Paragon » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:27 pm

...like 3-4 years ago I was at a coffee thing in Rimini (SCAE) and what the wise told us was that a little bit of sugar - because it brings out the sugars in the coffee (espresso)........

a little bit of sugar in espresso 8)
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects (W. Rogers)
User avatar
Paragon
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: London

Postby Aadje » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:28 pm

that's quite obvious . . . sugar bringing out the sugar :?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
User avatar
Aadje
 
Posts: 3363
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Dubai

Postby Mitch » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:33 am

Sugar? No way, same goes for milk i'm afraid.
Greens | Gene | Super Jolly | Zaffiro | RB | Grindenstein

3..2..1 you're back in the room
User avatar
Mitch
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Postby Beanie » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:06 am

Hmmm... thought I voted before... guess not :roll:

I used to have to load up ANY coffee-based drink with a least 2 sugars :shock: but since properly preparing my coffee at home, I don't anymore :D Sometimes my capps get a nice sweet liquor, like Kahlua or my ice capps for summer get Grand Marnier. Espresso & ristretto, 98% of the time, I don't add sugar. For the other 2%, I always taste a few sips without sugar to make sure my shot is not 'under par' and then I'll add a pinch of sugar as it really changes the drink and how much easier it may become to identify 'hazy' flavours (especially when you can't decide whether it's caramel or toffee). It was on a 'tour' of Kees vd Westen's workshop and him recommending that I add sugar to one of the double ristretto shots that makes me do this every now and then :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
User avatar
Beanie
 
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:50 am
Location: GMT-5

Postby Skippy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:50 am

Black coffee has no sugar, black coffee needs no sugar!

hmmm that quote worked better in my head....
Cimbali Junior D/1
User avatar
Skippy
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Postby johnny » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:35 pm

why would I want to ruin the by product of a £750 espresso machine, £250 grinder £50 a month fresh coffee, filtered water, £30 tamper etc etc etc etc etc ..... by putting sugar in it ?

If I wanted to blat out the taste I would rather cover it in cold milk and ice and blend it with syrup, cookies a banana, chocolate chips and cover it in can whipped cream ?????
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:10 am
Location: Bristol

Postby Walter » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:35 pm

No sugar, except in a corretto...

Regarding milk ... well ... a cappa is not really the same without milk ... ;)
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
User avatar
Walter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Graz, Austria

Postby johnny » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:15 pm

Walter wrote:Regarding milk ... well ... a cappa is not really the same without milk ... ;)


I tried this, this morning

1/3 espresso
1/3 air
1/3 more air

To be fair it was a very strong cappa .... more like an espresso in a too bigger cup.

The chocolate sprinkles sat well on the crema though, that pleased me, good strong crema !
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:10 am
Location: Bristol

Postby calum » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 am

are we talking fine Caribbean cane sugar, or Bury St. Edmonds sugar beet sugar? :)

for me, no sugar; tiniest dab of milk just to colour things, e.g .macchiato. Probably psychological.

when I go to espresso bars in northern Italy - where people go for their stand-up, no-talking, no-messing-about, morning shots - it seems that most everyone adds sugar.
Dualit/Solus 166
Bialetti moka - the basic ones
Cona stove-top vacuum pot - wonderful! :)
calum
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Postby Walter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:11 am

johnny wrote:
Walter wrote:Regarding milk ... well ... a cappa is not really the same without milk ... ;)


I tried this, this morning

1/3 espresso
1/3 air
1/3 more air

To be fair it was a very strong cappa .... more like an espresso in a too bigger cup.

The chocolate sprinkles sat well on the crema though, that pleased me, good strong crema !

Did you take your air frothed or not? :lol:

----

calum wrote:when I go to espresso bars in northern Italy - where people go for their stand-up, no-talking, no-messing-about, morning shots - it seems that most everyone adds sugar.

Espresso in Italy is an entirely different story, I have yet to find a superb one and in most cases it is hard to bear without some sugar, milk or grappa. I wish they'd clean their groupheads and portafilters a little more often...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
User avatar
Walter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Graz, Austria

Postby calum » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:19 am

Walter wrote:Espresso in Italy is an entirely different story, I have yet to find a superb one and in most cases it is hard to bear without some sugar, milk or grappa. I wish they'd clean their groupheads and portafilters a little more often...


yup, I've been disappointed there, too. Had expected much better, from the "home" of espresso.
calum
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Postby johnny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:53 pm

Walter wrote:Did you take your air frothed or not? :lol:


Please .. I am a coffee snob .. I did it by the book, I filled my Motta with nice fresh air from out side. I purged the steam wand of any water, then I put the want into the jug, and slowely turned on the steam,

I kept the tip of the wand just under the fresh air until I had stetched it enough, for cappas, I stretch 25% ..... then I plunged the wand deep into the air to get it to temp ... as soon as I couldnt touch the side of the jug for longer than a second, I stopped steaming ... dont want to scald that air.


I got a got steam I thought ... it all depends on the air, but the west country air certainly has more protien in it than midlands air !


not managed latte art though with steamed air .... guess I am not churning it enough, but the air just sits ontop of the espresso :(
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:10 am
Location: Bristol

Postby bruceb » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:47 pm

johnny wrote:
Walter wrote:Did you take your air frothed or not? :lol:


Please .. I am a coffee snob .. I did it by the book, I filled my Motta with nice fresh air from out side. I purged the steam wand of any water, then I put the want into the jug, and slowely turned on the steam,

I kept the tip of the wand just under the fresh air until I had stetched it enough, for cappas, I stretch 25% ..... then I plunged the wand deep into the air to get it to temp ... as soon as I couldnt touch the side of the jug for longer than a second, I stopped steaming ... dont want to scald that air.


I got a got steam I thought ... it all depends on the air, but the west country air certainly has more protien in it than midlands air !


not managed latte art though with steamed air .... guess I am not churning it enough, but the air just sits ontop of the espresso :(


This is what happens to people who don't put milk in their coffee. :shock:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
Image
User avatar
bruceb
 
Posts: 5364
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:49 pm
Location: Northern Hesse, Germany

Postby Walter » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:48 am

johnny wrote:
Walter wrote:Did you take your air frothed or not? :lol:


Please .. I am a coffee snob .. I did it by the book, I filled my Motta with nice fresh air from out side. I purged the steam wand of any water, then I put the want into the jug, and slowely turned on the steam,

I kept the tip of the wand just under the fresh air until I had stetched it enough, for cappas, I stretch 25% ..... then I plunged the wand deep into the air to get it to temp ... as soon as I couldnt touch the side of the jug for longer than a second, I stopped steaming ... dont want to scald that air.


I got a got steam I thought ... it all depends on the air, but the west country air certainly has more protien in it than midlands air !


not managed latte art though with steamed air .... guess I am not churning it enough, but the air just sits ontop of the espresso :(

Hmmm...

May I suggest you repost this on one of the major american home barista forums. That way the method will be "trademarked" under your name and eventually they will come up with some utterly meaningful scientifical or statistical research regarding the taste of frothed air cappuccini... ;)
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
User avatar
Walter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Graz, Austria

Postby wil » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:54 pm

Good coffee ought to contain one sugar and some cream - evaporated milk if there's no cream.
I know this to be true as I have sampled many a cup of coffee, without the above added, and always find the coffee to be lacking sugar and cream/E.M. :wink:
If you thinks otherwise, then you should train your palate slowly; adding small amounts of cream & sugar until you hit "the spot"! :lol:
Yours tastefully
G. Ramsay :evil: ..lol
wil
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest