With or Without Sugar?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Do you drink you coffee with or without sugar?

With Sugar
30%
Without Sugar
70%

Total votes : 88

Postby Chrisweaver » Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 am

well with sweetness and fruitiness being some of the most important points in espresso and filter coffee, it seems to me putting sugar in will really confuse your tastebuds! Unless you can extrapolate the actual sweetness of the espresso from the amount of sugar you put in... but my tastebuds can't do maths!!

We get people who buy the jamaican blue peaberry, having never tried it before, and then drop a sugar cube in without even a taste!
Chrisweaver

Postby GeorgeW » Thu May 29, 2008 1:43 pm

I regard Espresso in the same way as a desert and like it sweet. Not quite up to sucking it through a sugar cube held in my teeth but working on it.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby double_shot » Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 pm

@KateM,

Sugar? A white crystalline sweet carbohydrate, a disaccharide, found in many plants and extracted from sugar cane...blar blar blar.

Why? Because they are heathens!

No points for guessing my vote. Although if I ever have to drink instant coffee I take sugar to turn it into a different drink I can manage to drink it then.
double_shot

Postby GeorgeW » Fri May 30, 2008 10:19 am

double_shot wrote:@KateM,

Sugar? A white crystalline sweet carbohydrate, a disaccharide, found in many plants and extracted from sugar cane...blar blar blar.

Why? Because they are heathens!

No points for guessing my vote. Although if I ever have to drink instant coffee I take sugar to turn it into a different drink I can manage to drink it then.

Heathens?? Moi??

And this from one who drinks Instant coffee. :shock:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Walter » Fri May 30, 2008 1:16 pm

GeorgeW wrote:Heathens?? Moi??

A most unfitting term, I agree...

"Pagans", nowadays, would seem much more fashionable ... or sophisticated. "Welsh" - in its original sens - might apply too but then again this could easily be mistaken as denominating those Celtic descendants still dwelling in the western parts of the Island these days.

Picts, maybe? ;)
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby SlowRain » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:19 pm

With sugar and milk: cream is hard to come by in Taiwan. However, the amount of sugar that I add is getting less and less as time goes by.
SlowRain

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:00 am

What is it with the lack of cream availability out your way then SlowRain? Is it just not a popular item in the way it is in the west?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby SlowRain » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:35 am

Exactly. Milk is widely available in the supermarket, but yogurt, cheese, cream, and most other dairy products just don't have the appeal. Some basics are available, but the selection is limited. You have to go to specialty stores for most of most other stuff--and pay double the price.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:44 am

That must be a real bugbear for ex-pats from the west.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby SlowRain » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:52 am

We make do. It's not as bad as it sounds. Most things are available, you just have to look around--and pay more. Indirectly, it's an incentive to adopt the local culture. It also helps Taiwanese people keep some of that money in their own country.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods