Which Whiskey goes with what kind of coffee?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby tisri » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:44 pm

phil wrote:Right. Mmm.

OK, lesson over. Personally, if I was going to drink malt whisky with coffee (separately of course, never mixed (shudder)) I would be looking for a big, slightly sweeter finish. Maybe Talisker, possibly Ardbeg, quite possibly Lagavulin, perhaps one of the fuller bodied Speysides. Catch this description of Braes of Glenlivet :

(cut)

Copyright © 2003 The Scotch Malt Whisk Society

Drool.[/quote]

Lagavulin with a coffee? You'd want a pretty heavy coffee to go with something as earthy as Lagavulin. I can see Ardbeg going with a full-strength espresso.

Off-topic, are you a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society? If not, and you like your whisky, it's worth looking into membership. PM or email me if you're interested.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:46 pm

Phil is a member and he took me there as a guest a couple of weeks ago what a place and what delightful tastes, I'm still mulling over membership, but more towards wanting to than not
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:54 pm

Y'know Raf once said to me that most coffee geeks were out of the same mould: coffee, whisky, jazz....

Smart bloke that Raf!
Last edited by phil on Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:03 pm

Eeffoc wrote:Phil is a member and he took me there as a guest a couple of weeks ago what a place and what delightful tastes, I'm still mulling over membership, but more towards wanting to than not

This is getting surreal - I was there myself a couple of weeks ago (in London) with a friend from work who I introduced. Funny to think we might have been in the same bar at the same time...
tisri

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:08 pm

Its an incredibly small world, I keep being reminded :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:57 am

BTW, I am offering "Irish Coffee" in my shop now, and people love it. ALthough I don't have the time to make it traditionally (with these wineglasslike glasses, melting sugar, pouring whisky, heating over candle, adding coffee, etc....ritual)
I just pour 2cl of "Old Irish Whiskey" into a high glass, add 2 shots of my strong, spicy Houseblend, and fill the second half of the glass with freshly whipped cream (no substitute!!) and sprinkle some chokolate pieces....
Some peolpe drink 2-3 in a row :-D

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby wlodek » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:56 pm

Wonderful: faded yacht varnish with traces of honey ... you never know what you are missing.

With all due respect for the experts, I can't read such tasting notes without a smile. They always remind me my literature teacher at primary school telling us what we should see when we read one poem or another.

:)

W.
wlodek

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:13 pm

There seems to be a branch of the SMWS in Belgium as well, must find out about that, but I don't think members can have bottles mailed over from the sceptred Isle. Too bad! If anyone makes regular hops between Brussels and London, please let me know, I would give a pretty thing (just not K) to get another bottle of that single cask stuff that Phil gave me last year. It's now all gone, regretfully, and I can feel the need for another one... :)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:04 pm

Raf wrote:I would give a pretty thing (just not K)

Awww, that's nice Raf! Have you told her about this public compliment?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby davidd » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:15 pm

Caol Ila and espresso - 'heaven'. Love <www.malts.com> Oh to be a rich man!.
davidd

Postby tisri » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:29 pm

I remember Caol Ila - my first taste of it was during my student days. My father likes single malts as well and on a day in town with him he bought a bottle of the stuff. £30 it was - the most expensive whisky I'd ever seen at the time and a truly heart-stopping price when compared to a student budget. I have to admit though, it was good. Naturally you'd need a nice dark-roasted coffee to drink with it ;)
tisri

Postby phil » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:03 pm

Don't say "Caol Ila" to Steve. I gave him some at the SMWS Members' Rooms in London a few months back, and his response was "hospital floors"!

Heathen! :roll:

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby davidd » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:23 pm

phil wrote:Don't say "Caol Ila" to Steve. I gave him some at the SMWS Members' Rooms in London a few months back, and his response was "hospital floors"!
Heathen! :roll:

Which hospital - I'll clean their floors for free - with my tongue (provided there's a liitle drop of water to go with it)? :P
What surprises me (and perhaps it shouldn't) is how different various ages and 'labels' of malt from the same distillery can be (I guess it's like different beans from the same area, or different vintages of the same wine from the same vines).
Also strange that 'geeks', be it coffee or anything else, have so many crossover 'interests' - it's interesting to see for example, how many references to coffee there are on the wine forum I belong to.
davidd

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:05 pm

I cant help being un educated in the school of malt :(
Steve
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:24 am

Coal Ila is nice but Brora is even better... Tasted a Brora (Provenance dist: 1974 bott: 2002) and WOW! thats something different (although the taste DOES remind you of a Caol Ila... especially independent bottlers like CC and Signatory come in mind...).

So I vote for a Brora with a Yrgacheffe espresso! In fact I'll try this soon (have to wait for the Brora though... their quite expensive...)

Michel
(who has even drunk Johnnie Walker Black and Red to meet his weekly amount of Caol Ila :wink: )
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods