Are there any benefits with drip filter coffee?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby mattmills » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:08 am

I have to say that I am a fan of filtered coffee for the more delicate coffees. For pure enjoyment of drinking the coffee, filtered is a very good method, by producing a clean soft taste which is ideal for the more acidic coffees. However, it must not be left sitting on the hotplate!!!
mattmills

Postby phil » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:58 am

Rob wrote:Vac Pot I presume is mocha pot or stove top espresso

No Rob, vac pot is nowt of the kind. Think Cona. Y'know, two glass bowls and a spirit lamp sort of thing?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby zix » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:12 pm

In the rather famous coffee website on the other side of the pond, you know, the one where they have a coffee discussion forum, and also quite a large collection of consumer reviews concerning coffee machines, the webmaster has written a little article about drip coffee. He likes cloth filters the best. Better than the swiss gold ones, he claims. To my eyes his Hario filter looks a lot like a cloth filter we use for tea at home. Interesting, I think - could this be the same cloth as the one that is used in tea filters? If what he says is true, this would be a great solution for making good filter drip coffee. Papers are worthless, I think - vac pot is soooo much better, and so is presso.
Anyone here that has used cloth filters for drip coffee?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby mattmills » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:49 am

I have used the cloth filters in Costa Rica. They say that the old the cloth the better the coffee... it is quite a nice way of doing things.... but i think that it is best used for a gift for tourists as it makes a very nice present.
mattmills

Postby zix » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:21 pm

Aha - do you mean that the present factor of cloth filters is their only merit, and that paper filters are just as good (regarding taste, that is)?

hey say that the old the cloth the better the coffee...
I have heard the exact same thing about cloth filters used for tea, by the way, and about teapots also, and think it is half true (true for red clay pots to a certain degree, not true for cloth filters).
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby HV » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:20 pm

As to the OP's original question, "why drip", I agree with Steve - more subtleties in the cup. Plus you get to enjoy the cup a little longer, so different flavours come out at different cup temperatures.

Vac pot, cafetières, moka pots, etc. - nearly all methods can produce a cup of coffee. Not espresso, but enjoyable in their own right. Phil has a good point - different beans, different methods.

zix wrote:In the rather famous coffee website on the other side of the pond, [..], the webmaster has written a little article about drip coffee. He likes cloth filters the best. Better than the swiss gold ones, he claims. To my eyes his Hario filter looks a lot like a cloth filter we use for tea at home. Interesting, I think - could this be the same cloth as the one that is used in tea filters? If what he says is true, this would be a great solution for making good filter drip coffee. Papers are worthless, I think - vac pot is soooo much better, and so is presso.
Anyone here that has used cloth filters for drip coffee?

Although careful readers may have spotted that, for some reason, Mark uses the cloth filter inside out (compare his pix with those on the Hario site), it's actually a pretty decent write up. I don't bother stirring the "slurry", but the article does inform the uninformed how to make a proper drip coffee. I certainly second his recommendation of "7 grams of ground coffee for every 120ml".

Regarding the cloth versus ... issue, I think this falls in the same category as different beans, different brewing methods. The Melitta filters do a good job, the Chemex are a little better (certainly stronger) but much more expensive. SwissGold filters have their merits, but let some sediment through. We all need fibers though ;-)
I find cloth filters mute the brightness a bit, and let some of the earthy, and spicy notes come out better. Very nice for a powerhouse Lintong or Yemen.

In case anyone's interested in trying the Hario brewers...
I've not a clue who sells these in Europe, but fortunately Hario Japan is happy to ship their goodies over to us, and the "woodnecks" are quite affordable. Hario can be contacted via the service email at: http://harioglass.com/ The coffee gear is listed under "Taste" (well, obviously ;-) )
The single cup brewer (DPW-1) does indeed make no more than one cup (300ml, tops). The 3-cupper (DPW-3) can hold about 500ml max, that's perhaps three polite cups.
WRT use and cleaning - I rinse the filter with boiled water, then store it in a freezer bag in the fridge. Every few days, I soak the filter in hot water with a few teaspoons of bleach to rid the nasties, rinse thoroughly after and let it dry. Although cloth filters go a long way, you might want to order a spare set of filters.

Cheers,

HV
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini, Hottop Coffee Roaster Digital
HV

Postby zix » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:30 pm

Thanks for the cloth filter info, HV! That balance brewer (siphon retro, under "other") looks really nice. Probably too expensive for me, I am afraid.
zix

Postby HV » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:42 pm

zix wrote:Thanks for the cloth filter info, HV! That balance brewer (siphon retro, under "other") looks really nice. Probably too expensive for me, I am afraid.

Yeah probably, Tonya have 'em on their site for 42000 JPY (about 300 EUR). You could likely strike a better deal with Patrick at Coffee4you.com. I quite like the Cafetino. Hope he still has a few, it's an nice after dinner item, and makes a brill cup of coffee. It's easy to use and clean as well.
Can make about 1000ml of coffee - more than the Hario Retro.

Cheers,

HV
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini, Hottop Coffee Roaster Digital
HV

Postby tap » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:13 am

ah,
did wrote a long ram about clothdrip only losing it mysteriously beeing logged out while session. anyway shortly.
fan of filter. mostly using cloth. mornings paper. love espresso thoug but drinking there it is made properly.
this mark has some other things funny than keeping the cloth wrongwayaround.
temp 91 is good for cloth. paper less than this. depends on bean and roast. hotter the bitterer.
me not want to stirr. first 20-30sec of wetting the beans decides how the coffee tastes. don`t want to brake the balance. and don´t want to let that froth get to the cup.

once done not letting the cloth to dry. those tasty oils not that tasty dry and stale..
(lost the rhythm typing quick)might forgotten something..
tap
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby lukas » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks for bringing this up again tap!

It's been a whopping three years since my last posts in this thread, and this is for the internet archive: I love filter coffee. When it's done right. If I had knewn how a Gethumbwini or a Yirgacheffe tasted well filtered three years back, I probably never would've gotten into espresso ... well that's a lie, but you get the point. Good coffee can be so inspiring and rewarding!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby tap » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:08 am

hey, fun digging throug all the older theads might pull few on the way. dripcoffee i think is well underappreciated amongst coffeepeople. drip machines i like not much though. now owned one ever. espresso badly made can be horrible acid/tar/poison likewise. quite anything well made can be marvellous. me: still a way from homeespressosetup..

tap
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby Bombcup » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 am

Are there any benefits with drip filter coffee? Yes. It makes you smile!
Attachments
P1010045small.JPG
One happy camper.
P1010045small.JPG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 9482 times
Bombcup

Postby espressomattic » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:19 pm

Happy as a pig in muck :)
espressomattic

Postby lukas » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:54 pm

Access to great coffee outside your normal comfort zone feels so incredibly good :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby al_bongo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 pm

Yup, filter coffee my prefered method, or more accurately manual pour over. Chemex or Melitta cone and a kettle pretty much my choice for great coffee and consistency.

Most people seem to think of that restaurant carafe, providing an ancient brew of some generic coffee or the cheap electric consumer models which don't reach proper brewing temps. Interesting links on barismo.com showing the way the Japanese have raised manual drip or filter coffee pretty much to an art form.

And the controversial bit: do it right and you get more of the subtleties or those "floral high notes" than with French Press where the sheer "body" swamps the subtle flaovours, IMHO of course (not that a great coffee won't tase good in FP)!
al_bongo

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods