What's it called when you brew the coffee in the cup?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Terje » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:54 pm

It's much clearer to me too now, thanks.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby zix » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:37 pm

Dom, I am also curious - this is something I have been pondering for a while now. I have a very limited knowledge about vac pots. To make me happy, my parents use their "don pedro" when we visit them, and they say that you are supposed to let the coffee boil for a while in the upper pot before taking it off the heat and letting it down again through the "filter". To me, this would seem less than perfect, as the idea with presso, espresso and drip brew coffee is not to let the water temp reach 100°C. Is this OK to do in the vac pot?

Edit: Gosh, I am too slow. As an aside, but still worth mentioning - Terje, remember that since this is a european coffee forum, a little humour with an ironic twist is allowed, contrary to some other non-european (and also one or maybe two swedish) forums and/or newsgroups I could mention. I was more edgy and also more on my toes when I started here than I am now because of my experience in those places. I am sure Joey meant no offence in this case. Have a look at the previous messages again and I think you will see what I mean.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:31 pm

Yay, managing to spread confusion in my wake, as ever ;-)

Now then, at the risk of being called "slow" (can imagine Phil nodding as I type this)... if I am "brewing"
coffee in a cafetière, then I'm looking for a decent amount of liquid so I get to enjoy it for longer. Espressos I drink within a couple of minutes, a decent large mug of cafètiere coffee can last me 10 minutes easily (that's not really slow is it?)... which is why I personally would not want coffee grounds to still be stewing away (5 mins tops for me)... this may just be a matter of taste, I'm not saying anyone is wrong or has bad taste. This is also why I find that if you brew a large pot of cafètiere coffee and take successive survings, it tends to taste (in my mind) more "muddy" after a while.
Regarding vac pots, I think Phil and Pault are the regular users/experts... though for me, "café bouilu, café foutu"... I wouldn't put boiling water in contact with grounds, let alone boil the coffee itself (problem I've often found with moka pots).
And on the subject of irony and sarcasm, personally, I would never stoop so low ;-)
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Terje » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:45 am

Ah, now it's even clearer to me! OK, I did drink this from a rather small cup, OK. So it was over in a matter of minutes I'd say. The turks also drink from small cups, right?
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods