What's it called when you brew the coffee in the cup?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What's it called when you brew the coffee in the cup?

Postby Terje » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:10 pm

One of the best brewing methods I've tried and basically the same as french press but even simpler, although you make it one cup at a time.

You just put some ground coffee in the cup and pour the hot water over it, let it sit for as long as it takes for the coffee to sink to the bottom at which time it is ready to drink and tastes excellent.

This must be one of the older ways of making coffee and is definitely one of the best. Simple and easy.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Jo2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:42 pm

cupping? ;-)
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Postby RobC » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm

Keep this quite, I can see an army of cafe owners rubbing their hands in glee at the saving in cafetiere costs by offering the new "back to basics" coffee. Bit like the emporers new clothes!

Yes, does sound a bit like cupping, although apparently you spit not swallow.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Joey » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:02 pm

"What's it called when you brew the coffee in the cup?"

...awkward? :roll:
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:07 pm

I'm sure this isn't the origin for it, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was the typical way of making and drinking coffee in the "far west"... except they would heat a pot and just pour it from there into a cup, grounds and all.
Terje, if you like this you should get a cafetiere mug: http://www.elgars.net/coffeeaccessories.shtml
I've used one in extreme situations where space and weight were paramount
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Mathias » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:33 pm

This is not awkward. I stumbled on this many years ago in Poland. The coffee was put in a high glass and hot water was pored ower it. After a couple of minutes a long spoon was used to make a whirl in the glass and the coffee sank quickly.

The whirl thing works well on the Eva Solo brewer as well. Shake it to create a whirl a few secondes before you want too poor and there is very little coffee that will block the metalic filter in the Eva Solo.
Conti lever,Spaziale on the way,Eva Solo,French press, Mazzer Jolly
Mathias

Postby Terje » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:55 pm

Mathias wrote:This is not awkward. I stumbled on this many years ago in Poland.

Exactly!

And Poland is also where my mom learnt the method actually. We have polish friends and they made her coffee like this many years ago and she thought it was both excellent and brilliant. You don't even need to do that whirl thing with the spoon I think, just let it sit and the coffee will sink and when it does you can start drinking very good coffee.

Tastes just like coffee made with a french press just without the press and you can't drink that last sip without getting all the coffee grounds in your mouth... so don't drink that last sip!

I'm shocked at some of the responses here. I've had very high thoughts about this forum but now I'm not so sure. You know what, you can drink your Starbucks coffee, OK, that's fine with me :wink: , but this method it not awkward, it's brilliant and before you say awkward again I suggest you try it.
Last edited by Terje on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:21 pm

The problem I have with this kind of brewing method and some people's use of a cafetière, is that there is a tendency to allow the coffee to stew... which is probably an advantage of a vac pot (but I've not tried one).
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Terje » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:42 am

gouezeri wrote:The problem I have with this kind of brewing method and some people's use of a cafetière, is that there is a tendency to allow the coffee to stew... which is probably an advantage of a vac pot (but I've not tried one).
D

What would the possible problem be with that? I'm just curious.
Terje

Postby jumper » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:21 am

i just read a book called 'trader in coffee' that says that when coffee was first introduced in europe this was the way to make it they also used to pour hot milk on the grounds.
i tried it and its remarkebly nice.
still i'd prefer not having all the grounds stuck between my teeth
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Re: What's it called when you brew the coffee in the cup?

Postby quink » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:27 am

Terje wrote:You just put some ground coffee in the cup and pour the hot water over it, let it sit for as long as it takes for the coffee to sink to the bottom at which time it is ready to drink and tastes excellent.

I've heard of this method being called "cowboy coffee" , but I'm not sure how it came to have the name. Whether it was invented by cowboys or its a description of the methods used :lol: , like that plumber I used a while ago.
Last edited by quink on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby Terje » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:06 pm

jumper wrote:still i'd prefer not having all the grounds stuck between my teeth

You're drinking it too soon, wait a little more for the grounds to sink properly. And once more do not drink that last sip.
Terje

Postby simonp » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:29 pm

Terje wrote:
gouezeri wrote:The problem I have with this kind of brewing method and some people's use of a cafetière, is that there is a tendency to allow the coffee to stew... which is probably an advantage of a vac pot (but I've not tried one).
D

What would the possible problem be with that? I'm just curious.

If you let it stew for ages don't you get overextraction, and get the bitterness that comes with that?
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Terje » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:46 pm

simonp wrote:If you let it stew for ages don't you get overextraction, and get the bitterness that comes with that?

Why would you let it stew for ages? Takes a few minutes and then you drink it.
Terje

Postby simonp » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:15 pm

Sorry, confusion there, Gouezeri said there is a tendency for people to let coffee syew using this method, and I thought you were saying what was the problem with that. Wrong end of the stick :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods