Best pour-over coffee maker

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Best pour-over coffee maker

Postby Espresso128 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:24 am

Hello!

I'm trying to find a good automatic pour-over style coffee maker, I've seen a few about, such as these:
- https://dailycoffeenews.com/2019/06/06/ ... erfection/
- https://ratiocoffee.com/shop/ratio-coff ... rk-cobalt/
- https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPO-85 ... B0142UUV4S

I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations or ones you have tried?

Thanks.
Espresso128

Re: Best pour-over coffee maker

Postby Uberwolf » Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 am

I do not know about other pour over methods but for me the Kalita Wave has to be one of the most infuriating pour over methods ever. It is rare I get a good coffee using it. I find it very unforgiving and try as I might it is never a given the coffee I produce will be a good one or even a nice one.
Gaggia Baby Class/Gaggia MDF Grinder/RB Tamper
Uberwolf

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:33 am

Welcome Espresso128!

We just use a Hario V60 or a cheap Melitta most of the time. Both make a decent brew. I’m not convinced you need to spend loads on pourover gear but others will have more experience because we drink mostly espresso based drinks.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Ed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 pm

I used to have a little Melitta four cup (I think) machine that made a nice brew which I bought for £1 from a jumble sale. I broke the jug however and couldn't source a new one despite the best efforts of the members of this site so I scrapped it. I would recommend it to anybody.

Recently I came across the same machine under a different brand name (Krupps or de Longhi or somesuch) but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. It was available on Amazon. This reply is therefore no use whatsoever. I will scout through my various histories and see what I can come up with.

With pour-over brewing I suppose the usual factors of roast, grind, water temperature and brew time come into play with the addition of the possibility of picking up taste accents from the filter. If you drop on a good combination then you are laughing but finding it might be very frustrating.

I also have an aged Russell Hobbs machine that is well up to the job of producing a decent tasting bulk brew for parties etc. This uses a removable plastic mesh filter.
Last edited by Ed on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

Postby Ed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Right, the original machine was a Melitta ACM6-2 but I still can't find what the current machine is that is similar.

The nearest machine that keeps cropping up in searches is the Melitta Aromaboy.

The search continues.
Ed

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Totally agree Ed. Some of those cheap brew machines do a good job. Our Melitta is just a plastic pour over cone that takes paper filters. We have a Russell Hobbs (actually need to check, but it’s a similar brand anyway) filter that does a decent job too for the comparatively few times we have brewed.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dronald » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:06 am

I have a Ninja cp301 coffee maker with hot and cold brewing system. super. Of course, everyone has their own requirements for a cove maker. you can find detailed reviews of the most top-rated coffee makers here http://best-coffeemaker-review.com/
dronald

Return to Other Brewing Methods