Static brewing

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Static brewing

Postby oldboybrewer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:30 pm

After many years using the Bodum, I have finally found a method that hasn't been touched upon yet. I have discovered that along with the coarseness of the grind, water temp and length of time brewing, a "static" brew (No movement of the grinds) makes for a very different and pleasing brew. The force of the plunger in the Bodum sometimes allows for more extraction due to the forces of the plunge and that is why many state that the plunge must be very slow.

However, I have found that no matter how slowly the plunge, bitterness is often there to some degree. Even the auto drip method has a force of the dropping water applied to the grinds. Here is what I have found. I heat the Bodum with hot water as well as the plunger which I put into a bowl with hot water. keep everything hot so as not to lose temperature. When the brew water is boiled, I put it into the Bodum. I then add the grinds and with a spatula, gently stir until soaked. Start the timer. I then insert the plunger and plunge all the way down to the bottom. Time for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, lift the plunger about 25% of the height and slowly plunge down. Pour the coffee into a carafe.

This is what I call static brewing and the coffee is absolutely wonderful. No sour/acid flavours. I don't think there is any method of brewing coffee statically. If you want to get the most out of your coffee, try doing this. You will have to experiment for the proper coarseness but I honestly believe you will not go back to the other method.

The grinds must not be disturbed during the extraction process.
roger
oldboybrewer

Re: Static brewing

Postby sallygreen » Mon May 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Please add more details about water temperature, sort of coffee and grinding.
Because these factor are important too, Not only brewing method.
Writing reviews for https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/filter-coffee-machines. Want to open my own coffee place. Love Japnese style.
sallygreen

Return to Other Brewing Methods