Long time no post. Thinking of an espresso machine again...

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Long time no post. Thinking of an espresso machine again...

Postby lastcoyote » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:48 am

Hi TMC forum'ites! It's been around 6 years since I last posted around these parts. Remember me Cakey? :D

The last posts I believe were when I sold my Rancilio Silvia as I moved away from espresso and on to brewed coffee. V60, chemex etc.

Well I'm kind of getting itchy for a machine again. One reason is due to my annoyance of so many people I know saying they've got an espresso machine only to go on to describe their nespresso pod type thing...to which I turn my nose up.

I also just feel the urge to tamp and pull a sweet espresso at home again. I've still got all my accessories and rocky grinder just no machine.
Thing is I'm limited on money that I can spend and so the lovely £1K plus HX or dual boiler machines are out the question. Once again it seems perhaps the latest 2016 version of the Rancilio Silvia may be the one to get especially as I'm familiar with them. However as it's been so many years I'm kind of no longer 'in the know' as to what is considered the best machine at this price range..or any price range to be honest.

So those who are in the know can you advise me please?
What is the latest thinking on the 2016 Silvia?

Much appreciated!
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Re: Long time no post. Thinking of an espresso machine again

Postby bruceb » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:24 am

Welcome back! Things are rather quiet around here, but there are many new members and some of the older ones are still around. Since I am still using my 15-20 year old commercial machines with much satisfaction I'm also not really well informed about the machine situation today, but hopefully someone who is will show up soon. Thanks for posting and good luck with your espresso endeavour!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lastcoyote » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome @bruceb
Yeah it's scary quiet here. Life's got busier I guess.
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby zix » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:17 am

hey, lastcoyote, good to see you back again. Doing my tertiary login to toomuchcoffee, found your post. Any luck with choosing machine?
I have been in the Gravity Lever Land for the past seven years or so, and have found happiness there. Can only say that if you like the Caravel design and if you can live without milk steaming, it is worth it to try and find a used one on eBay.
The Rocky you have can still be used. However, the conical burr hand grinder is making its come back, and there are now several small manufacturers, Both in Europe and overseas. OE Lido E and E-T (USA), Comandante (Germany), Kino (romania?), Feldgrind (UK). Stepping up in burr size and price: HG-1 (USA), Mahlgut (Germany), Pharos (USA) and the very new Helor (Taiwan).
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Return to Espresso