Panic stations

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Panic stations

Postby motoman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:51 am

Yesterday, after my usual Saturday espresso cleaning session I made myself an espresso. Everything went well, the milk steamer hissed and bubbled as steamers do and the hot water flush was perfect. Then it happened, the pump pumped as a pumping pump should. It went on pumping but no coffee came through the portafilter but still it pumped. I looked inside the tank, plenty of water so I tried again. Having just spent the equivalent of the Fiji national debt on repairs to La Valentina, I was ready to eat the carpet when it failed again. Then I fount the fault, some unidentified idiot had fitted the internal plug in filter to the wrong tube, when water was sucked in, the proper tube vacuumed itself to the base of the tank and no water was allowed through.

I may be approaching the time when I need to check my zip before leaving the house.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: Panic stations

Postby bruceb » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:03 pm

I'm afraid this would be more-or-less standard fare for me. If there are two ways to do something, a right and wrong way I always manage to find the wrong way the first time. I try not to repeat my mistakes, but that also is not always successful. As to the zip...oh, never mind.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Espresso