Interesting article on the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33527053
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Re: Italian coffee vs the rest

Postby jameso » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:31 am

dr.chris wrote:Interesting article on the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33527053

With some nice input from Mr Hoffmann in there, too.

Interesting take: Italians "the commoditised cafes in USA and the rest of Europe have made a dumbed down imitation of our real proper coffee." James H: "Yes, but the Italians cut some corners, too, so if you got to the emerging coffee scene you'll find better beans and brew ratios than the budget Italian bars could ever churn out."
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

Postby Ed » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:33 pm

Personally, I blame Friends and Central Perk. That is what popularised coffee house culture to the masses at the turn of the century.
Ed

Postby tidiman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Absolutely behind the original Italian espresso. That taste after the small shot 30ml of espresso on some small street...
tidiman

Postby bruceb » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:27 am

Disclaimer: I have not been back to Italy for a few years, so consider this historical observation.
What separates Italy from the rest of the world in regard to espresso is this. You can (or could) get a good shot everywhere in Italy. To me, "The best coffee in the world," is silly talk, utopia, nonsense. Coffee taste, like all tastes, is very subjective, not only from person to person, but from moment to moment. But there are simple criteria between a proper cup of coffee (or espresso shot) and all the rest. Stale or rancid beans are standard in most places it seems. Operator incompetence is the rule. But not in Italy. My experience has been that the beans are fresh and the shot is well prepared, whether at "La Trombetta," the big café at Termini in Rome, or in a tiny street hut in the village of Rosora in the hills of the Marche region. No, the barista may not know what a flat white is and he or she may not twirl the tamper after tamping the coffee, but the product is drinkable and tasty, satisfying and clean. It's the reliability of getting a good cup that separates Italy from the rest of the world for me.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Espresso