La Scala Butterfly - new and old version?

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

La Scala Butterfly - new and old version?

Postby vinter » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:43 am

Even though I was set on an Elektra, I have suddenly become interested in the Butterfly as an option.

Can someone share some light on the different versions/improvements and their estimated years of origin? I understand the factory improved the top somehow - did they change anything else?

thanks!, Mads
Best regards, Mads
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

LM GS3 (former Elektra Semi Automatica), Casadio Instantaneo (Former Mazzer Mini E, former Macap M4 Doserless), Gene Cafe (former I-Roast 1)
vinter

Postby PeterAG » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:47 pm

Mads
I was given good advice when I joined. I was after a Europiccola, which is a lever model also and was told that for a first machine ( yes, it is that addictive) it was better to limit the number of variables involved. In a lever machine a big variable is the pressure that you pull at, by getting a constant pressure machine like the Dualit 84009, or the Rocky Silvia (to name but two), one of the major variables is eliminated. You can tinker with the others; grind, bean, amount, tamper, roast etc until you can get a feel for it and how they all interact (2000 known substances in coffee, and no one really knows the chemistry of roasting).In addition, if you have a partner that is a little sceptical, producing lattes, cappucinos slopacinnos etc will bring them to some form of sanity (in this circle of correspondents anyway because we all know that anyone who doesnt like coffee is deranged :wink: ). If you do decide to go down the constant pressure machine route please check out threads in this forum on boiler types etc.

Good luck
Peter 8)
Dualit 84009
Dualit Grinder
Heat Gun Roaster

><>
PeterAG

Postby vinter » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:22 am

Thanks Peter! I think I will follow your advice and stay away from a lever for now.

In regards to the La scala butterfly, I have been offered one at a reasonable price, but it is not the newest, updated version. Apparently what they changed was: (quote from a dealer)
"It was not only the top that had been changed. There is also a technical
difference. The new model has a reduction in the brewing system that
garanties a constant watertemperature for the espresso. And a constant
temperature ganranties a constant espressoquality...."

SO, the question is: If the deal is attractive enough, do you all think I can live with the old version, or does this modification sound vital? I mean, it was a HX machine before as well, so it must be a minor improvement, right? About 400 Euros to save if I go for the (otherwise identical machine)
:?:
Phew, I am in doubt.

Thanks! Mads
Best regards, Mads

LM GS3 (former Elektra Semi Automatica), Casadio Instantaneo (Former Mazzer Mini E, former Macap M4 Doserless), Gene Cafe (former I-Roast 1)
vinter

Postby vinter » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:25 am

oops - as a subquestion: Doesnt it sound like they added (or improved) a PID in the machine? I am a newbie, but from what I understand, constant water temp is what you get with one of those.
Best regards, Mads

vinter

Return to Espresso