Coffee shot

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: Coffee shot

Postby bruceb » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:38 pm

GreenBean wrote:
CGP wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Hey, welcome to the party Chris :)

Thank you kindly! I'm not really sure what's going on but will work it out eventually!

Welcome to TMC, Chris :D None of us have any idea what is going on so you will fit right in :wink:

Is something going on?! :shock:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby garydyke1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:08 pm

You'll soon realise i'm a coffee geek. Pleased to meet you all!

I've tried to create coffee shots at home but never know what defined a 'coffeeshot' anyway.

I was brewing 20g -> 60g and achieving a 23-24% extraction yield and it tasted good , below 20% it tasted horrific .

Ive also brewed an acceptable 'filter coffee' using the espresso machine , 20g - > 300g water in 45 seconds!!! 22.5% extraction
garydyke1

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Pleased to meet you too, Gary. Welcome to TMC :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby dr.chris » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:47 pm

garydyke1 wrote:You'll soon realise i'm a coffee geek. Pleased to meet you all!..

Its all right. That isn't a sin around here :)
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Welcome Gary! :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:13 pm

I will point out Gary is yet to make me one of these "acceptable" coffee shots
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Steve wrote:I will point out Gary is yet to make me one of these "acceptable" coffee shots

But the question is, do you deserve to sample his creation? Go on Gaz, get one down him!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CGP » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Gaz do you think a coffee shot might make it easier for someone to enjoy psyllium husk powder? :?:
CGP

Postby garydyke1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Steve wrote:I will point out Gary is yet to make me one of these "acceptable" coffee shots

Need the right water profile , I'll use the Sage :D
garydyke1

Postby garydyke1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:20 pm

CGP wrote:Gaz do you think a coffee shot might make it easier for someone to enjoy psyllium husk powder? :?:

Its worth a try
garydyke1

Postby robashton » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:51 am

garydyke1 wrote:

Need the right water profile , I'll use the Sage :D

The DB? I don't think the boiler is large enough to do a coffee shot - I gave it a go at the weekend and it caps out at about 150g, about half of what I needed.

Shame, as I was hoping to work out what the big deal was.
Hasbean fanboy, rocks with a Sage DB + Ek43 (18g vsts, 58.3mm flat tamp yeeeaaah) 8)
robashton

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:03 pm

I think I remember being served one in Coffee Works Project.... (and enjoyed it)
But then again, Steve serves me Nescafe when I visit him, so what would I know! :roll:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Hey!

Interesting topic.

I feel like if you select and roast coffee specifically for this method of production you can get excellent results. If you aren't roasting yourself then I feel you would have to be very selective about which coffees you use.

If you are brewing the longer "coffee shot" e.g. 18/19g of coffee to give 285/300ml yield at a low pressure then again it really depends on the coffee you are using. I felt like my favourite results with an EK43/Strada combination came from using a Square Mile Githiga from Kenya, which produced a very clean and sweet example of this method with all the enjoyment coming after allowing it to cool. I really didn't enjoy this method with Cental Americans. The aromatics were incredible but the resulting drink would be a bit of a let down and I would often experience dryness and woodiness which reduced my enjoyment.

Overall, whilst drinking I actually longed for an aeropress, chemex or other filter method like Clever simply because the longer coffee shots felt one dimensional, lacked mouthfeel and often exhibited dryness.

When extracting lighter roast Africans e.g. Kenyan and Rwandan as espresso e.g. 18.5/19g to give 40g or more with a lever profile I enjoyed this very much sweetness was present and I felt the origin charachteristics you'd hope for presented themselves very well. I say Kudos to Matt Perger and Ben Kaminsky for their hard work and creativity.

The workflow is painful and I experienced retention with the EK43 which didn't help matters. I feel that the grinder is excellent for guest espresso, decaf, cupping and as a unique filter-like "coffee shot" with the right coffee.
Chris

Previous

Return to Espresso