Bezzera BZ99

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bezzera BZ99

Postby bronc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 pm

I found on of these on a local website for a very good price. I've read quite a few mixed opinions so I'm not sure whether I should go for it.. The biggest drawback for me is that it doesn't have an E61-type brewhead so it might be lacking temperature stability. I have a Silvia PID right now and I'm not sure if this will be much of an upgrade. Anyone on here who has owned/owns a BZ99?a
bronc

Postby GreenBean » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:50 am

We have had BZ99 owners active on TMC in the past but I do not think any are around these days. You may have to base your judgment on the reviews and threads related to BZ99 on TMC and other coffee forums. A search for “BZ99” brings up a significant amount of information though, as you say, this contains conflicting views.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Danomar » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:34 am

I owned a BZ02 which is, to the best of my knowledge, the same internally as the BZ99. In turn, the BZ99 is essentially a Pasquini Livia: Bezzera built the Livia, so they simply put their own name on it. The Livia has a long, well-deserved reputation for excellent results.

I actually preferred the HX-style group on the BZ02 to an E61. No need for temperature surfing and very easy to live with. One brief cleaning shot and it is ready to go. Temperature on the Bezzera was very stable. Shots were as good as any E61-styled machine I have tried.

The BZ99 is an upgrade to the Silvia in my opinion, but just how much of an upgrade is debatable. It will be easier to use and more reliable than the Silvia, but it is still a single-boiler machine like the Silvia and steaming ability is approximately the same. Quality of the case and components is better, but there are other machines with more flash.

HTH
Danomar

Postby bruceb » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:27 am

In my opinion the e61 group head is one of the most overrated bits of coffee paraphernalia.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:52 pm

We have one but it's not in regular use. Great machine. If the price is right, I would go for it. Agree with Danomar totally :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bronc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:03 pm

The Bezzera is an HX, correct? So in terms of steaming it should perform better than the Silvia. That's not all that important to me, though. I make milk drinks probably once or twice a week. I'm not sure there will be a difference in the cup - the only difference, and I'm not saying it's a small one, is that it should be more thermally stable.
bronc

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Yes, it's an HX and performs accordingly, with the expected thermal stability. In my opinion it is some way ahead of the Silvia in terms of ease of use. We also have an Audrey (same innards as a Silvia) and have used them side by side.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Espresso