L'Anna Hand Fill Leaking

Equipment, technique, or just drinking the stuff

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

L'Anna Hand Fill Leaking

Postby JamesP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi All,

I have a problem with my L'Anna Hand Fill Leaking, it started a few weeks ago when I descaled her. I think I have narrowed the slowish leak down to the earth screw on the bottom of the water reservoir.

I have tried tightening it but that hasnt stopped it, the screw is not in that great shape, is it possible to get a new one or should I try some PTE tape?

Thanks,

James
JamesP

RE: L

Postby dr.chris » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:07 pm

I'll have to check on mine when I get home to see what its like. Trying some tape would be a good starting point.

The only leak I have had was from the pipe feeding the hot water take off and that just needed tightening. (oh, and the time I missed the pipe feeding the water tank and water dripped down the hole where one of the screws for holding down the top should have been, straight into the controller...)
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby JamesP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks Chris,

I have also done that one my old L'Anna its a daft place to put the controller IMHO but luckily she was ok :)
JamesP

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:45 am

Hi James, we had the same issue the first time we removed our reservoir for cleaning some years back. PTFE tape did the trick, or you could change the screw if it is looking nasty. Either way, we never removed it again, and simply cleaned it attached to the earth wire using jugs of water :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: L

Postby JamesP » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:51 am

CakeBoy wrote:Hi James, we had the same issue the first time we removed our reservoir for cleaning some years back. PTFE tape did the trick, or you could change the screw if it is looking nasty. Either way, we never removed it again, and simply cleaned it attached to the earth wire using jugs of water :)

Thanks Cakeboy, I didn't actually remove the screw as I did read somewhere it can be a PITA to refit but I guess it got wiggled around. I will try some tape but could do with a new bolt does anyone know the correct size?
JamesP

RE: Re: RE: L

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Sorry, no. I would just measure it or ask Scott at Happy Donkey if he knows or has one. From what is now a poor memory, I think we placed a small stainless steel washer inside the reservoir to add stability and possibly a rubber one outside for additional sealing properties, but I seem to remember that the PTFE tape was fine on its own. I would think any stainless nut and bolt at least as big as the original one and that will fit through the eye attached to the wire would suffice as long as the seal has integrity :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby JamesP » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks Cakeboy :)
JamesP

Postby dr.chris » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:50 am

Its not under pressure or temperature so a bodge solution should be just fine..

Controllers. I am now on controller no.3 after 5/6 years (can't remember - would have to check back through my posting history here :) ). Although I suspect the dodgy relay didnt help at all. I never realized they were quiet until the new one went in.
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Ours has never been quiet. You have me wondering about our relay now Chris!

We actually have had a new pump on hand since before Christmas due to it being a bit noisy and intermittently gulping air but it's still hanging on for now.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: L

Postby dr.chris » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:29 am

CakeBoy wrote:Ours has never been quiet. You have me wondering about our relay now Chris!

We actually have had a new pump on hand since before Christmas due to it being a bit noisy and intermittently gulping air but it's still hanging on for now.

Since we had the new relay the only time you hear it is when it clicks on and off. When we first had Anna (and probably the following 4 years or so) we could always tell when the heater was on because the relay would make a lot of noise, like a very rapid ticking. I think now it was probably an unhealthy sound. The inside of the relay was pretty black when it finally came out.
dr.chris

Return to Espresso